Big amount of work today, very exhausting, sitting back now at the computer doing the update with a plate of "Bang bang basil beef" over coconut rice from my favourite Thai restaurant and a bottle of my favourite ale, feeling good about a day well spent working.
So, what did I do?
I welded up both the front and rear wheel centres! Lots of cutting, welding, grinding, filing and sanding... I worked out that so far these wheels have used up 4 cutting discs, 1 grinding disc and 3 sanding discs, worth it though, loving these wheels!
I started by test fitting a disc in the rear wheel, just to see what it will look like:
Then as I was lifting it off the workbench, I decided to sit it up against the rear wheel on my Wife's Camry wagon, just for a laugh!
Checking the tube fitments, I cut the rear tubes to 2" lengths, decided that would give me the look I want:
Top plate tacked on:
Ground, sanded and filed:
Dish check, it looks far deeper in real life compared to these pics:
On to the front discs, 1" tubes on the front:
So, that was today's progress! Still more to do, welding them into the rims, making the wide hubs and axles etc, but good progress and good to have an idea what the finished product will look like!