(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bike progress! (Well wheel progress anyway...)

20667063534_df0dcd066e_c.jpg

:rockout:

Note the little diagonal cut in one edge, that is so I can match it to the other side plate that got cut at the same time, just in case there is anything slightly out. The rear wheel plates have two diagonal marks.

Luke.
Nice!! Once those sleeves are welded in and smoothed out they will definitely have that Lambo look.

Oh man that's totally Lamborific! Saw your new av pic and had to scamper over here and have a look..:thumbsup:
It luuukes amazing! :crazy2:
Looking good..... real good!:cool2:
great talent and vision!
Another cool Luke mega wheel in the making.
love it.
Nice!! Once those sleeves are welded in and smoothed out they will definitely have that Lambo look.
Glad everyone is liking the idea!

Luke.

Lambo Pedro........still very subscribed..........where's the bike??:( :thumbsup:
Haha........

You got the proportions just right on them holes and the tire profile. Can't wait to see the pipes installed in it.
It looks good on the front, not sure if it will look so good on the rear wheel yet...
Hopefully find out tomorrow!

Luke.

I'm really liking this so far, great job on the wheels! I still have the framed red Lamborghini Alpine stereo poster from when I was a teen hanging above my workbench in the garage.

I'm really liking this so far, great job on the wheels! I still have the framed red Lamborghini Alpine stereo poster from when I was a teen hanging above my workbench in the garage.

Big amount of work today, very exhausting, sitting back now at the computer doing the update with a plate of "Bang bang basil beef" over coconut rice from my favourite Thai restaurant and a bottle of my favourite ale, feeling good about a day well spent working.

So, what did I do?

I welded up both the front and rear wheel centres! Lots of cutting, welding, grinding, filing and sanding... I worked out that so far these wheels have used up 4 cutting discs, 1 grinding disc and 3 sanding discs, worth it though, loving these wheels!

I started by test fitting a disc in the rear wheel, just to see what it will look like:

21350462631_00889dd282_z.jpg

Looking good!

Then as I was lifting it off the workbench, I decided to sit it up against the rear wheel on my Wife's Camry wagon, just for a laugh!

21155326169_707808f479_z.jpg

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Checking the tube fitments, I cut the rear tubes to 2" lengths, decided that would give me the look I want:

21350462001_4b27032465_z.jpg

Tacked:

20719502414_495e5662c9_z.jpg

Top plate tacked on:

21331477602_ac71170289_z.jpg

Welded:

21155325719_b7be92b0dc_z.jpg

Ground, sanded and filed:

21331477052_a95e3e74e2_z.jpg

Test fit:

21342199985_d3cbd01740_z.jpg

Dish check, it looks far deeper in real life compared to these pics:

21154092280_c6fe9410d6_z.jpg

On to the front discs, 1" tubes on the front:

21155325519_8ccb954aac_z.jpg

21155324689_03bb51fb0c_z.jpg

21350461421_f17142daf0_z.jpg

Test fit:

20721103373_057770edc5_z.jpg

Both together:

20721103183_de97eebffa_z.jpg

21350459991_4c0a2ddcbb_z.jpg

So, that was today's progress! Still more to do, welding them into the rims, making the wide hubs and axles etc, but good progress and good to have an idea what the finished product will look like!

Luke.

Lambo Pedro........still very subscribed..........where's the bike??:( :thumbsup:
Haha........
Page 5 and still no bike to see! :21: Getting closer though!

Thanks for the new bike name! ;)

Luke.

Those look great, I can't wait to see you start to frame it up. You're making me want to do a MBBO Class #2 bike now, I gotta get me a welder and plasma cutter!

Luke, you had a very productive day indeed! Every time I look at those wheels I try to envision a frame strapped around them....:39: ...:21:

who needs the bike?
just enter the wheels and you'll win!

Those are awesome! Now it's like a top fuel Lambo Pedro..:D
Those look great, I can't wait to see you start to frame it up. You're making me want to do a MBBO Class #2 bike now, I gotta get me a welder and plasma cutter!
Luke, you had a very productive day indeed! Every time I look at those wheels I try to envision a frame strapped around them....:39: ...:21:
Awesome fab work so far! Going to be a killer ride!
who needs the bike?
just enter the wheels and you'll win!
Wheels are AWESOME!
Glad you guys are liking them! I actually have been thinking about doing this for a year or two, but always said to myself that it was too much work just for 2 wheels...
Then when Dr. T suggested a "mag" wheel set up, the idea popped back into focus!

@Old Scool, no need for fancy tools like a plasma cutter, I ended up doing these with a standard angle grinder, a plasma cutter would have been less work though! A good gas mig makes things easy, doing something like these wheels with a stick welder would require far more accurate cutting to save work trying to fill gaps, still possible, just would take longer...

The frame will have to happen soon, I am running out of time, but I can guarantee that it is unlike anything I have made before... ;) It looks fairly complicated, but is actually pretty simple, it is everything else (bars, bottom bracket, forks, seat) that will take the time...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back