(MBBO Class 1) **DERELICT DILL** Mini-Crash's entry ((DONE))

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This bike is going to be built by my 10-year old son. It's a pretty simple design and build, so I'm going to let him tackle it with my guidance. We've toyed with the idea of building a wheelie bar, so we'll see.

0y1y.jpg

aaaaaaand.... we're off!!

Here's my mini-Crash setting up the bike stand for our initial evaluation...

WZ1NVI.jpg

"What's first?" Well, put on the seat clamp and put the seat post in there and clamp it in the frame. "Dad, this post isn't rusty." No son, the frame parts are rusty, but the chrome parts will off-set the rust. "No Dad, I want them all rusty. A rusty rat." Well... I've got rusty parts. Go dig out a rusty seat post.

R3kKSH.jpg

Next we attacked the bearing situation. We cobbled together a headset and bottom bracket set over the course of a couple hours of digging and fitting.

kTwkfo.jpg

Since we're putting a Huffy chain guard on an AMF frame, it's going to take some modding that I'll need to do. I cut welded tab off with an angle grinder. We mocked up the BB and chain guard to determine where the huffy bracket will be installed, then took it apart. We put the wheels on just to see the chain line for the sprocket. It looks like the rear triangle is tweaked, so we'll have to do a little frame bending to get the rear wheel to fit in there "square". That's where we left it today.

lO7HDl.jpg

My original plan was to have all nice chrome to offset the rusty frame, but he's changed the bars, sissy and seat post, and he didn't want to clean up the rear fender like I planned. He was disappointed we didn't have rusty wheels, but he wanted the chrome spoke protector and chrome sprocket still.

I told him he was entering the contest this year with this. He asked me how much I won last year with my bikes. I told him $1,000. His eyes lit up! Then I told him it's for bragging rights, but don't build it to win. Build it to have a cool Rat Bike to off-set the "new" restored muscle bikes we have.

This build and build story is my early favorite.

Very cool! I love that he wants more rust!

Luke.
It's killing me. You've seen my builds. I'm all about chrome and shiny paint. The fact I kept a rusty frame at all was just sheer madness for me. And now my demon-spawn wants to pound nails in my coffin my insisting on more rust? Oh the humanity!!

Show him flat black and bare metal. Add those to rust and you've got the BIG 3 in rat rod color schemes...

Carl.

Tonight after it cooled down we went out to the garage to get a little work done. We're adding a Huffy shorty stack chain guard to an AMF frame, so some mods had to be done. Dad took the grinder and removed the old install tab welded to the bottom bracket shell. Then we measured for our hole and drilled and tapped the mounting bolt hole.

S6yHf2.jpg

Then installed the new mounting bracket after a quick grinding adjustment for fit.

E34Wty.jpg

We drilled and tapped the mounting hole in the back and installed the bottom bracket to see how it all fit. It looks good, but we quickly learned that the 5" cranks we were using were too narrow. I have a set on another bike that is getting 6" cranks, so the boy went to get ready for bed and I worked on the other bike for the rest of the evening. Next step (When we get to it) we'll install the new wider cranks and hopefully can get them to play nice with the chain guard.

89CKCb.jpg

Glad to see the next generation involved it will make for a good future and your learning him a good trade.;):thumbsup:

I'm noticing that where I test cleaned that rusty fender is really sticking out at me in the pictures. I need to search RRB and find out how to rust stuff up.
I can't believe I just typed that. :confused:

Nah, the inconsistency just makes it rattier.:android:

It's killing me. You've seen my builds. I'm all about chrome and shiny paint. The fact I kept a rusty frame at all was just sheer madness for me. And now my demon-spawn wants to pound nails in my coffin my insisting on more rust? Oh the humanity!!

It's funny that this build is meant to help Mini-Crash stretch his comfort level and he flips the tables on Dad to force him out of his comfort zone. :p:D

Makes me think of my friend...
His son told him he didn't like the new truck because it was too bright & shiny

Latest posts

Back