(MBBO Class 1) Hot Purple Valiant!! ( done.. ) )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score
Shifter, guard complete, mirror almost complete, starting final detailing..

--------

Old first post with old frame.
Ok, I picked this bike up a week ago. Not an old classic, but a clean fatter tubed aluminum cantilever frame, is netter than nothing to start with.

So as this is a class 1 build, I am not sure if the skyhawke engine that came with the bike should be on it, but If I can get it to run, I will clean it up and paint it in as an integrated component.

Ape hangers and a banana seat are also in the budget.

I will have to decide what todo with the forks. I got time, will find something appropriate.

On the rear, a wide slick is planned.

In order to compete, What I don't have in pedigree on the frame, I will have to make for it in paint. While I wait for the coil to arrive for the engine, to give it a wirl befor paint, I'm painting up three cards to decide which glowing fire scheme will fit best. Will have a flat nickel base with pearled candy on top.

Last edited:
Looks like a fun toy.
I can tell you from experience be careful with rear tire width as you have a rub hazard on both sides from the chains.
I had to true my wheel slightly off center to clear both chains with a 26x2.2 rear tire

cool frame that Grubee skyhawk is a good motor!!

I got it running today. Wanted to fit in the mounts and make sure it ran before I painted. Made it two trips around the blocks before it started dumping gas. Got to looking and the auto choke return line had nevere ever been hooked up, no wonder I got it for a good price. Runs like a champ now. Teardown starts this weekend. Wohoo!

Last edited:
Been thinking about taking another 26" fork and building my own take on the monark style springer for this build. I have a sheet of stainless plate, and a box of valves and springs left over from a 440 build that I think would make an awesome looking springer top for it.

Last night, i took the screwdriver and tuned it while riding up and down the block. Running quite well now.

Ran it up to the market today at lunchtime. At first glance, I think it looks a bit buggish with baby apes on it. Hehehe :) grasshopper, praying mantis... lol

The longer apes will come later.

Yah, I've been thinking on it more, planning it out. Picked up some decent tensile strength brazing rod today.

I've delayed the teardown until I get the mechanical worked thru. Fitting in parts, i dont want to scratch paint.

The springs when loaded will have 350lb strength each. Three on the bottom layer, two on the upper. 3/16" stainless plate to hook to the top of the head post between the sprung layers. Valve spring cups are of a brass alloy, so they will provide lube.

Once I have it all bent in and together, you can bet I will put my motocross stuff on and go tear it up without the engine on it. Jump it and beat on it to make sure it won't fail under cruizing conditions.

Will be starting to weld and cut the stainless tomorrow. Will have pics showing the process.

While I was out today, I stopped by bike world and found these for the build.

Been thinking about taking another 26" fork and building my own take on the monark style springer for this build. I have a sheet of stainless plate, and a box of valves and springs left over from a 440 build that I think would make an awesome looking springer top for it.
Nice apes, but very flexi (same as mine :android:) I also have been debating myself on building a springer. Heavy forks like ours should be able to fab into a nice springer. I think the trick will be the top bracket...

Carl.

Last edited:
I like the black, but I see you're going to paint. Are you going to use that tank? Plenty of time left to find the awesome tank this bike needs, the tank often showcases the paint on a bike... Just thinking out loud, love this build.

Carl.

I like the black, but I see you're going to paint. Are you going to use that tank? Plenty of time left to find the awesome tank this bike needs, the tank often showcases the paint on a bike... Just thinking out loud, love this build.

Carl.

Might use this tank initially. But as the build goes on, an in-cantelever tank would be cool. Smooth it out. Will see what I find in my shrinking budget. :) or work with some things I have.

Mockup so far. Yes, I am loving the black as well. My two favorite colors are black and chrome.

Once I get it tore down and basecoated nickel, and I start getting color layers down, I think its gonna take on a new look of its own. If I don't like the custom, can always take it back to black later :)

That's going to be a wild ride with those apes be careful. I tried bigger ones on my motor bike but control got to hard & backed off on height .
Also check your local laws as most places enforce a 15" bar height on mopeds, scooters, & motorcycles.

The nevada law as stated:

NRS 486.201Height of handlebar.A person shall not drive a motorcycle or moped equipped with handlebars which extend above the uppermost portion of the driver’s shoulders when the driver sits on the seat and the seat is depressed by the weight of the driver.

I am 6'1", With the seat this much higher, the handles match my shoulders. So on the Height, I will be legal :-D.

Also, couldn't find any tower nuts that were a fine thread for the axle, so I dug up some handle clamps from the wheelchair build I did a decade ago. Expensive clamps, but they get the job done.

Wow mush more lax on bar height there.
Here it states from the lowest area of the mounting point to the highest point of the bars (measured along bars) must not exceed 15".
If you want taller bars here you can use mount risers/spacers. My friend has 10" mount riser with 15" bars on his Harley.

Still be careful as controlling that beast might be hard.

Still be careful as controlling that beast might be hard.

Yes, I know what u mean about handling. Every geometric change has an effect on handling, cornering, stiffness, etc.

I scared the crap outta myself the first time I had this rolling at higher speeds:

The higher center of gravity, gets squirrely if trying to turn while going fast. It took a deeper lean, in order to keep it under control. Carves up the street pretty well, but larger turn radius.

At any rate, I understand your point, and may end up with a shorter set after I spend some time running it.

This discussion also has got me wondering on the effects of springing up the nose vs shocking it....

Last edited:
Well, the fork I had planned to use was tweaked a little. Waiting to go visit someone I know who may have just the pair of forks I want.

Curious if shortening the head tube from 8" to 7" put me into class 2?

In the meantime, I pulled this outta the junk pile.

This week I will pe cutting those nice molded stainless tips off, to be light tubes for these DC LEDs I picked up.

I will end up cutting the flat amber out and replace with clear. With the 6v supply from the skyhawk, should make decent light.

Latest posts

Back