(MBBO Class 1) - Operation Black -'76 Raleigh

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally getting around to start my thread for the build off. This bike is(at least what I was told) a 1976 Raliegh mx. Picked this bike up for $30 bucks. I thought it was such a cool, funky looking frame, that I had to have it. This bike is going to be for my 7 year old son when it's all done. He even named it, Operation Black.

Bike is pretty well beat. It will need several cracks welded up, and some new parts, but it will be pretty darn cool when it's done.

Here it is when I drug her home.

The bike is currently torn down, well almost all torn down. Still have some bolts soaking in pb blaster. I hope to get the bike ready for some welding repairs very soon.

Enjoy!

"Very Cool" addition to the build off , There were a few of these early Raleigh
bmx bikes in the neighborhood and I can understand you finding the frame in
need of repair. I think you could build a nice muscle bike out of it but I also
feel it is worth restoring as it is a piece of the early history of BMX !!
Mark

Very cool! Here's a pic of a restored one:

raleighMx-1.jpg

Just to be clear on the rules, it has to have two of the three to qualify:

-Banana seat
-Ape hangers
-Rear tire larger than the front.

If you're going for a straight restoration, I think you can meet the banana seat and... if you purchase the right sizes, the tires. I think a 2.5 in the back and 1.75 in the front will do the trick and look good!

I look forward to seeing this come back from death!!

Ever see an awesome street rod and think...
That guy should have restored that car...

Carl.

Last edited:
Cool bike.

Ever see an awesome street rod and think...
That guy should have restored that car...

Carl.
No but seen some atrocious ones that should have been; or at least rethought a bit lol (then again I'm sure people have thought that about my stuff at some point)

Nope, but I've seen some people with questionable taste and money to burn... I love these frames! You dont need to restore, just keep it tasteful. And make sure it looks like it just wants to do wheelies!

I'd be tempted to fab a rear suspension, but maybe not for a 7 yr old.:)
I did it with my first build here, HeadBanger :headbang:, in MBBO2 and placed well down in the standings. I still like ridin' that bike tho....

Carl. :android:

Latest posts

Back