(MBBO Class 1) Powerglide

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my entry. It's a DNB PortaFold. It'll be class 1, just some add ons. I will be able to put it back if I want to later. This is the same folder I tried to build for the annual build off, but couldn't get it done, actually got hardly anything accomplished. It will have a larger rear tire, the front is 20 x 1.75. I'm hoping to fit a 3 inch wide tire in the back. The handlebars look like apes to me, so that should meet the definition of a muscle bike. I may add a banana seat later, the bike is still in the planning stage.
This is a one year bike, 1959. It is a Japanese folding bike I picked up from another member of the forum, Kingfish254. It folds in 3 places, and the handlebars and seat stem slide down to make it smaller. I think that's why it was only made that one year, probably cost too much to produce.
The original wheels were 20 x 1 3/8, but I'm using 1.75 wheels to have more choice of tires and I wanted wider. It has Michelin Diablo tires now, with a SRAM automatix 2 speed hub. That's where I came up with the name Powerglide, from the 2 speed Chevy transmission people love for drag races.
Right now, my plans are extensions on the forks and dropouts, wheelie bar, and some kind of exhaust pipes. A lot along the lines I had planned for it before but never did.

sybfup.jpg

I get my new angle grinder in a couple days. Finally. Then a bench and vise to work with. By that time, I'll have some plans drawn up for dropout and fork extensions. Then I'll get the metal and go to work.

So glad to see you continuing on with this bike. It's gonna be cool as a muscle bike. Those are definitely apes, just look at the bars on many of the Iverson muscle bikes.

Love the name! Reminds me of a time I tried to pull out one of those old cast iron case powerglides by myself. Got stuck underneath it for about 20 minutes before I could get out from under it. They are still used in drag racing today. The aluminum case ones anyway.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

I measured for a 3" wide tire, figuring at least 3 1/2" clearance between the stays. The dropouts will have to be about 7" back from where they are now. The 1.75 tire barely clears it as it is now. That also means the steel or aluminum will have to be a little thicker and need some bracing. Suspension is out of the question because I'll be using a coaster brake, unless I find a way to pivot right at the cranks.

1604flv.jpg

Just the one year, but I'm not worried about taking off original paint or anything. There are more than a few of these that have been indoors and are in new condition because they are folders. Here's what it looked like new in 59:

2wn72vt.jpg

It became a swing bike while I was riding down a hill. The main hinge opened up and I just hung on until I could get stopped. The frame needed considerable work to repair to ride safely. The seat tube was braced with 5/16ths stainless rod and was sleeved at the bottom for extra strength also. Now it's heavier with all the stainless reinforcement welded on, but It has to be. I plan to pull wheelies and maybe go airborne off some sweet ramps!:113:

2rfatz8.jpg

35i7yww.jpg

34o4tg6.jpg

Latest posts

Back