Measuring spokes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know this is a newb question and if there is already a topic please let me know.

How do you measure a spoke. To clarify I was going to order some,( or if highship still had some pay shipping on thoses). But not sure where to measure mine to get the proper ones.

I asume it is from the tip of the spoke(threaded part) to the far edge of the little flanged piece(the part that keeps it from going throught he hub, and then the witdth of the spoke. And the size of the niple is the the sixe of the hole in the wheel? If this is correct please let me know, if not please educate me my bike brotherin and sisterin. Thanks.

I am by no means an expert but... I have been told that they should be measured from the end to the center of the bend on the other end.
I don't know much about the gauge and nipple size but I would say a lot are pretty standard. Unless your looking for heavy duty or double butted or something they would probably work. Post a pic of the wheel and spokes it might help.
Someone much smarter then me is going to give you a good answer soon.

Highship is absolutely correct, from the centre of the elbow to the tip of the thread:)

Actually, it's from the face of the spoke between the bend and flange. The area that gets pulled against the inside edge of the hole.

Rooski said:
Actually, it's from the face of the spoke between the bend and flange. The area that gets pulled against the inside edge of the hole.

yup, if you have a thin ruler you can hook the spoke over the end .

"Actually, it's from the face of the spoke between the bend and flange. The area that gets pulled against the inside edge of the hole."

Thats effectively the same thing! The elbow isn't 90 degrees, on any spokes I deal with such as DT or ACI etc, so getting an accurate inside measurment with a standard rule isn't as easy as going from the centre of the elbow on the oustside which corralates to the correct position. If you have a spoke rule then no problems.

Latest posts

Back