Members in Gitmo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Are there any of our members down in Cuba?

I was there a couple times in the 90's during the Haitian crisis. My ship was being utilized as a processing area for 700 refugees. On my last visit in 1992, the red cross had me put on emergency leave and I flew out immediately due to a family illness. The family illness worked out ok after a couple years.

However, my 1969 Hercules 3 speed w coaster was left behind. On my particular ship, if you weren't there, you were considered a slacker, so they branded me a slacker because of leaving early. My bike was on the end of the pier locked up, bright original red paint with perfect chrome and stickshift on the top bar. One of my shipmates said he would be sure to bring it on board but he "forgot". Either it was just left there or thrown in the drink because I was a slacker. The attitudes on that ship weren't the best, it was a "burn someone before you get burned" type of atmosphere.

So if anyone is down in Gitmo, I've got one hundred dollars for that bike, and I'll pay the shipping too. Sure, it's been 17 years, but stranger things have happened.

I also lost a brand new Typhoon I found for sale in a Rantoul, IL bike shop while I was in the military, but that one was probably my fault. That's a story for another day.

Latest posts

Back