Memories of my 1966 Ross Barracuda -- the Lamborghini Countach of 1960’s bicycles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I didn’t mention is that I have no photo of my Ross Barracuda. None. Photos were a luxury we couldn't readily afford, so we only took photos on special occasions. In the era of digital photography we don't remember that film (like for an Instamatic camera) and its processing were costly, especially before corner drugstores started performing the processing. We used to mail our exposed Instamatic film to a place called Skrudland Photo Service in, or near, Chicago. Mom found that was the most affordable. It took a coupla-few weeks for it to be returned.
Patience is a virtue that has been lost for most in today's world.

I found one with a 3 speed stick shift. No year was listed:

1680955108253.png

I found one with a 3 speed stick shift. No year was listed:
Wow, that's the "console gear selector" I remember. What's kinda spooky is that the sissy bar very-closely resembles the replacement I had. The replacement I had was shorter than the too-tall original, and had the slight backwards tip (just like the posted photo). Maybe that's all the bike shops had for replacement sissy bars in 1966. My bike didn't have a black seat (it was white, I believe). Other than the seat color, that's so dang close. Find a replacement rear fender, and that'd be a nice bike cleaned up... at least oil the rusty chain (sorry, my OCD is talking to me). Thanks for posting that!

Gotta wonder: why are so few of those shifters seen? Was that shifter short lived? Were there issues with it? I never had any trouble with mine. If I had to guess (as someone retired from the manufacturing sector), that shifter was probably pricey to make, and the one with the round body (as seen from the side) was likely readily available off-the-shelf from a bike-parts maker. Too bad because that's a good-looking shifter, and it resembles what some of the cars with console shifts had back then.

Wow, that's the "console gear selector" I remember. What's kinda spooky is that the sissy bar very-closely resembles the replacement I had. The replacement I had was shorter than the too-tall original, and had the slight backwards tip (just like the posted photo). Maybe that's all the bike shops had for replacement sissy bars in 1966. My bike didn't have a black seat (it was white, I believe). Other than the seat color, that's so dang close. Find a replacement rear fender, and that'd be a nice bike cleaned up... at least oil the rusty chain (sorry, my OCD is talking to me). Thanks for posting that!

Gotta wonder: why are so few of those shifters seen? Was that shifter short lived? Were there issues with it? I never had any trouble with mine. If I had to guess (as someone retired from the manufacturing sector), that shifter was probably pricey to make, and the one with the round body (as seen from the side) was likely readily available off-the-shelf from a bike-parts maker. Too bad because that's a good-looking shifter, and it resembles what some of the cars with console shifts had back then.
There even pricer now. There's a guy who can reproduce them he's up here in Canada.

there's a barracuda bicycle for sale on Fb Marketplace in Waterford CT. I think the seller is the former owner of a muscle bike museum, so it's probably in great condition.

One of my best friends had a swinger with a 440 ci mill and 4 speed. We went on a curvy bumpy road, flying over rail road tracks on the curve while I watched in horror as the guard rails got closer and closer at 140 mph and climbing. He was trying for 150 mph, while the krp front end and bias ply tires shook and felt like they were orbiting the car. The only reason I’m alive to relate the tail is because part of the headliner blew out the window at 140 so he slowed down. That was a scary awful car. It didn’t track well, wanted to go straight or else spin out. Donormobile.
In 1975 or so my brother became the proud owner of a former Nevada Highway Patrol pursuit cruiser. This was a 1965 Chrysler Polara model police service car guaranteed to do 150mph. It had a certified speedometer. One day east of Reno/Sparks NV area on Hwy 80 a guy in a hotter Porsche model came up behind him and started to pass. Being my brother with his special police pursuit car he stomped on the gas to his State hot rodded 440 and the drag race was on. The 440 got him up to 130mph fairly quickly but the Porsche was still there. Then it crept ever more slowly up to 140mph. He was still creeping up in speed when the Porsche honked his horn, My brother looked over and to his chagrin the smiling owner of the Porsche shifted into his next gear and proceeded to pull away. We laughed over that for years afterward.

Back