Metallic Sparkle paint trick

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had this set of sparkle green Schwinn handle grips(You know the kind I'm referring to...), and I wanted to use them on a trike I'm building for my niece. I looked everywhere for the right color of metallic green in a rattlecan, but had no luck. I did find a solid green paint, and a bright metallic silver paint. I laid down a good solid coat of the silver, then misted on the green overtop the silver while it was still wet. If I got the green too thick, I misted on more metallic then a little more green over it. Once it all dried, I laid down 5 or 6 coats of clear. In my opinion it turned out amazing. I used Rustoleum brand paints on all accounts. Maybe everyone else already knows all this. But here's how it turned out.
2884516127_46a5a57386_b.jpg

That looks great! Check out Duplicolor's line called Color Effex. They make a metalflake clearcoat. You can lay down whatever base you want, wait until it's tacky, and shoot over it with the clear. It works really nicely. I used this technique on my Murray Wildcat, and I' really happy with the results. It's also really easy.

Cool. I'll have to do that. Like most things in my life, I probably got satisfactory results taking the hard way when there was a much easier way to do it, but I'm still happy with it... :mrgreen: Like Grandpa always said, There's more than one way to skin a cat... But I will definitely check out that Duplicolor line.

BrigmasterA said:
Cool. I'll have to do that. Like most things in my life, I probably got satisfactory results taking the hard way when there was a much easier way to do it, but I'm still happy with it... :mrgreen: Like Grandpa always said, There's more than one way to skin a cat... But I will definitely check out that Duplicolor line.
Duplicolor makes a cat skinner? :lol: :lol:

I've had the same issue (no metallic color I wanted), but I used a slightly different tac. I put down a white primer base, then the color (glacier blue), then with the can very far away, I misted it with metallic silver (all rustoleum). Your effect is more dramatic however, so I might try this on something else. On mine it's barely visible until it's in the sun, then there is tons of tiny sparkles that kinda' move around.

its the same idea as a candy apple red paint finish....
they paint a metallic silver base coat, and the topcoat is a translucent/transparent red.

Huh. Here I was thinking I was original or something. :wink: Actually I kinda figured candyapple was something like that, but I don't know jack about painting, especially if it doesn't come outta a rattlecan... Does anyone know of a translcent rattle product? that would be cool to have/use...

krylon has a transparent line.
not sure about the quality. i know some graf artists that love it for shadow effects.

BrigmasterA said:
Huh. Here I was thinking I was original or something. :wink: Actually I kinda figured candyapple was something like that, but I don't know jack about painting, especially if it doesn't come outta a rattlecan... Does anyone know of a translcent rattle product? that would be cool to have/use...

Brig,
dont get me wrong.
the real candly apple red process is pretty intense and expensive.
you made something look awesome with just rattlecans.
i am definitely going to use this idea.

Thanks! I don't know if spraying the color over the metallic while it was wet was crucial to the process, but that's how I did it. It seemed to work the best for me. I tested it on an old chain guard doing color then sparkle, sparkle dry then color, but the wet/wettechnique made the best look to me...

BrigmasterA said:
they do sell something for model cars from house of kolor. I think its called kustom kolor.

Great tip, very useful! Thanks! :)
There are translucent spray paints for rear lights that come in a few colours (I've seen red, blue green and black). I used the red one for the rear light on the Vincent. I guess that could be worth a try! I'm planning on using some of that on my racer...I can act as the guinea pig and let you know if it works well in combination with other paints. :D

Thanks Brig! Your color is great. I came on here looking for tips and I can't wait to run home after work and try this!

As promised, here's pictures of the final product. After I gave it to my niece... It has scratches in it now... Oh well. Hopefully you can see the paint well enough to see how it turned out. The color on the "fork/handlebar" is the base coat for the rest of the trike body...
2938668878_9a401053e1_b.jpg

And here's my niece enjoying her Green Bicycle. That's what she calls it. :D
2938669006_fb99b53f61.jpg

Back