Mid 40's Schwinn bought from original owner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very pleased to pick this bike up today.

318dbe33f2a05c65585d9e4fe07afce9.jpg

I was doing my normal Craigslist searches in the 'Bicycle' section when I came across an ad that simply read, "Bicycle". I was intrigued and clicked on it. The ad was only a sentence long and said, "Late 1940's Schwinn men's bicycle--fair condition". There was no photo, no phone number and not one more word of information. Thread had been up for almost 3 weeks when I discovered it.

I emailed the seller and he responded and said it was still for sale and sent a photo of it. He said to, 'Make an offer'. I liked the picture and told him I was interested and sent him an offer. When I didn't hear anything back from him I figured he didn't like my offer. Several days passed and then this morning I got a response from him saying he would like to sell but hoped I could come up a little on my price. I figured to at least have a look at it and arranged to meet the seller and have a look.

When I got there I met an older gentleman that informed me was the original owner of the bike. He said he remembered the day his dad took him to the store and bought it. He also said I could thank him personally for every dent on the bike because he had put every one in it.

I'm pretty pleased with this one. Every thing is completely original down to the last AS bolt. I think I'll put some new tires on it, grease everything back up and give this one a ride.

This is a nice DX, I hope he was as happy with the money he got for it, as you are with the bike. From the picture it looks like maybe the fork is a little bent, but should still ride ok. Looks like a real keeper to me.

I bought 2 different bikes from there original owners in the last few months. It's worth it just to hear their stories about the bikes and to see them excited that the bikes are still going to be used and enjoyed.
If you want to really make his day after you regrease it and clean it up take it on a ride past his house and thank him again. It's a nice bike indeed.

Rockit! said:
Wow, must have been hard to let it go. Nice one.

He didn't seem that broken up about it. As I was hanging it on my bike rack he walked up and said, "Bye, old bike". I asked him if he wanted to give it one last ride and he just laughed.

Latest posts

Back