Midriff-ter MTB...My home from May 1 - Aug 1...pg 15 !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good OJ!
Thanks Soul-G ! It was one of those nights. One of my neighbors who was there, and has heard us a couple times, said to my wife, " Are they doing drugs tonight? They sound better than ever !" :bigsmile: Music is my drug.

Last edited:
Stopped in to the North St Paul Car Cruzer to catch some of the first show of the year and see who was on the street stage last night. Our band HIGHWOOD, plays here at least once a season; one of our favorite venues. Ran into Carlo, the video man. He hits every music happening and car show in the East metro, and I mean every one!
He gave us a nice promo for our July 21 gig coming up this summer.

carlo shot.jpg

Met a new friend, Bob, last night. He had this cool patina / faux tina wagon. I was looking at it closely and he came up to talk about how he had a guy do the faux tina on the fenders and side panels, in an attempt to match the natural patina on the hood and roof. He wasn't too pleased with the result. I'm hoping I might get a crack at trying my hand at bringing it to his level of satisfaction sometime in the future.

351505477_624259136303087_5134343459310393913_n.jpg

A couple of other cars that caught my attention....ratty rat and natty rat....

350891754_781177220137128_642864803296754167_n.jpg

351682274_598195952411210_5025555633614453554_n.jpg

And I found a guy that must be watching @metalchewy on our RRB site....wheel decor ! This Bug was cool.

351514873_160358670345665_8782050850268521682_n.jpg

350819103_162031223510573_1162024026370621774_n.jpg

Looks like a fun outing.

Those bug wheels are pretty cool. Little bit of red to catch they and then some cool details to impress.
Not real easy to see in my photo, but they carried the plaid through on the lower part of the seat backs in the interior as well. I like the wide wheel stance and the big ol' white walls on the fatty tires!

@OddJob I agree on the fauxtina job on that station wagon. The sides are too red to match the top. Did it look like he had used Rustoleum texture spray paint and mustard?
Nope. I showed the owner my work on the recent stem and bar from this year and the photos of 'Trans-MIG-RaT' to describe a method which would get more of the result like his hood, which had the natural patina.

Here's his hood:

351690267_1218468245476485_3625479165336611237_n.jpg

And I told him about the mustard technique and the 'Instant Rust' mix I have used in the past, and showed him the Trans-RaT:

ratina 8 B.jpg

I'll be able to use a darker base color to get the look of his hood and car top. On Trans-Rat I used more of lighter textured hue to pop on the light blue. He just had it done a couple months ago, and has a BLO top coat over it currently. So after the summer heat burns that off a bit, he might give it a shot. It'd be really cool to get a shot at doing a car / truck!

New tool out from our favorite RRB tool company, Part Kool. It's the version 2.0 with the identifying 'blue dipped' handle. Now even more effective for frame straightening, rear end alignment, and head set and BB cup protection while installing.

Part Kool 2.4.jpg

Another updated tool that many of us use in rat rodding bicycles from time to time. It has many uses from frozen stem removal to bent crank straightening to bearing release from BB and head tube. It can also be used in conjunction with the Part Kool usa FS - 2x4.

Part Kool BFH - 1.jpeg

Another updated tool that many of us use in rat rodding bicycles from time to time. It has many uses from frozen stem removal to bent crank straightening to bearing release from BB and head tube. It can also be used in conjunction with the Part Kool usa FS - 2x4.

View attachment 235606

I have a BFH-2 ball peen version. Handy for fixing fender dents.

"Sit down. Get a grip."

My prize from @ifitsfreeitsforme ,owner and operator of Thompson Classic Bicycle Components , came in the mail yesterday!

I have used his grips on a number of my builds. They have a classic look and a great feel. Here's a video on my RaT-ifying the grips to match my build 'Faded Glory''s seat and 7 yr aged cream Fat Frank tires.

20230606_093602.jpg

20230606_101744.jpg

What a great job you did there! I believe you're the first customer that has tinted them. You're so clever. I'm glad you're enjoying them, and thanks for your continued support.

Love the tinting idea and result!
Thanks hbn~! The key is to not put too much on the rag, and then wipe almost all of it off again with a dry rag. I even added a touch of water to the dry rag at the end to take care of any ' too well covered' spots. Acrylic paints work well for seat covers too, in adding a bit of aging. Here is a brand new black, glossy, polo seat that I put on my Shelby Flyer Woody build, and then used a Plaid (grey-ish color) acrylic wiped in to make it look aged. Fun stuff!

IMG_20150907_091311.jpg

IMG_20150907_161120.jpg

Nice work on tinting the grips. They turned out great.
Thanks rgrrbt! I encourage everyone to try the Thompson Classic Grips, great feel, even better classic look!

Thanks hbn~! The key is to not put too much on the rag, and then wipe almost all of it off again with a dry rag. I even added a touch of water to the dry rag at the end to take care of any ' too well covered' spots. Acrylic paints work well for seat covers too, in adding a bit of aging. Here is a brand new black, glossy, polo seat that I put on my Shelby Flyer Woody build, and then used a Plaid (grey-ish color) acrylic wiped in to make it look aged. Fun stuff!

View attachment 235698

View attachment 235697
thanx for sharing that seat surface treatment! It's got me thinking cause I have been wanting to do something similar but was not sure how to approach the problem......

thanx for sharing that seat surface treatment! It's got me thinking cause I have been wanting to do something similar but was not sure how to approach the problem......

If you also have a seat that has cracks or scuffs on it and you want a good solid covering, and you can have it in any colot,aslong as it's black; I've used Flex Seal paint. Light coats or it doesn't dry all yhe way through, and after it'sall dry,I've sprayed it with a clear to give it a hard coat.

"Sit down. Get a grip."

My prize from @ifitsfreeitsforme ,owner and operator of Thompson Classic Bicycle Components , came in the mail yesterday!

I have used his grips on a number of my builds. They have a classic look and a great feel. Here's a video on my RaT-ifying the grips to match my build 'Faded Glory''s seat and 7 yr aged cream Fat Frank tires.

View attachment 235674

View attachment 235675

Great vid‘! Thanks OJ! Great story on your dad and faded glory! Grips came out great!

Latest posts

Back