Midriff-ter MTB...My home from May 1 - Aug 1...pg 15 !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Since the beginning, bicycle design has evolved in more ways than possibly any other mode of transportation. From the boneshaker to the high wheeler to the safety bicycle all the way up to today's electric-assist pedal bikes. Depending on who you ask, the 'mountain bike' production design began in the late '70s early '80s. It has had almost as many iterations as the bicycle world itself.

Midriff-ter evolution.jpg

I began riding mountain bikes in 1987, and after only 2 weeks of riding, found myself lined up at the start line of my first MTB race. Those were primitive, all 'rigid' bikes (no suspension except your knees and elbows) and yet we were flying around the woods and up and down ski slopes like there was no tomorrow! Now, 36 years later, it is the sport I have done the longest in my life. I gave up the race day craziness after 14 great years of competition, but I still enjoy a trail ride much more than a paved surface!

Two years ago, after crashing my full suspension bike on a desert mountain ride in Arizona (and cracking 3 ribs in the process) I thought it best to maybe lay off the dirt for awhile and I sold my all-mountain conqueror and purchased a new gravel / road bike. It made me feel healthier, and safer, for a while. But when you work at a bike shop, and are around the 'eye candy' of the newest and latest designs and technology; it's hard to 'stay on the diet' (if you catch my 'drift'...:wink1: )

In my latter years my motto changed from 'Ride like there's no tomorrow' to 'Ride like there's always tomorrow'. At 67 I don't recover like I used to at 32, or even 52 for that matter! So, I don't plan on tackling the toughest terrain anymore, just go out and enjoy the outdoors on a bike that I can say I had fun building up myself.

....in typical OddJob style, this is getting really long....

I've never been a small guy. Even in top fitness form, I raced at my college football playing weight of around 195-205 lbs. I'm now around 225, and father time is taking his toll on lack of metabolic rate and regular daily activity. So, my 'midriff' has increased in size, while my agility has decreased. Hence, one aspect of my build name: Midriff-ter. The other part is the style of bike I will be building; what we commonly call a 'mid-fat' mountain bike these days. The tires will be mounted on wide rims, and be somewhere in the 2.6 - 2.8 range in width, or girth, as the case may be. :bigsmile:

Anyway.....it will be based around an aught-teens Rocky Mountain Fusion frame, Rockshox fork, my 27.5 " 35 mm wide wheels from my Klunker Kat build, a bunch of parts laying around the BACK40, and some fun with a rat-ina faux rust paint job.

A few photos to get you an idea of what's in the plan....

Rocky Mountain High.jpg
Midriff-ter fork.jpg

Midriff-ter paint 1.jpg

And always, I look to the automotive world for inspiration, on design, and in this case, rat-ina.

Midriff-ter paint 3.jpg

RaT oN~!

Looking forward to this. Not for the build-off, but I started putting together a 2013 Spot Rocker last week, so we'll see what ideas I can steal...errr... take inspiration from.
Oooohhhh....Spot brand! We sold one of their early belt drive bikes at our shop in the 'early 00's '. Slip a stealth photo in once in awhile Gowster... nudge nudge wink wink...

Sorry to hear about your crash. At 52 for me the ground is a lot harder that it was, even at 45, so I know what you mean. I still ride the mountains, but don't take the 15 foot drops anymore. Tires are usually planted .

I love those old dodge sweptline's. That patina will look great on your build.

2 stacks last year, I know how you feel. Our bodies tell us to slow down, but our minds are(go on do it! go on!) I like the new with old combo.

Since the beginning, bicycle design has evolved in more ways than possibly any other mode of transportation. From the boneshaker to the high wheeler to the safety bicycle all the way up to today's electric-assist pedal bikes. Depending on who you ask, the 'mountain bike' production design began in the late '70s early '80s. It has had almost as many iterations as the bicycle world itself.

View attachment 229928

I began riding mountain bikes in 1987, and after only 2 weeks of riding, found myself lined up at the start line of my first MTB race. Those were primitive, all 'rigid' bikes (no suspension except your knees and elbows) and yet we were flying around the woods and up and down ski slopes like there was no tomorrow! Now, 36 years later, it is the sport I have done the longest in my life. I gave up the race day craziness after 14 great years of competition, but I still enjoy a trail ride much more than a paved surface!

Two years ago, after crashing my full suspension bike on a desert mountain ride in Arizona (and cracking 3 ribs in the process) I thought it best to maybe lay off the dirt for awhile and I sold my all-mountain conqueror and purchased a new gravel / road bike. It made me feel healthier, and safer, for a while. But when you work at a bike shop, and are around the 'eye candy' of the newest and latest designs and technology; it's hard to 'stay on the diet' (if you catch my 'drift'...:wink1: )

In my latter years my motto changed from 'Ride like there's no tomorrow' to 'Ride like there's always tomorrow'. At 67 I don't recover like I used to at 32, or even 52 for that matter! So, I don't plan on tackling the toughest terrain anymore, just go out and enjoy the outdoors on a bike that I can say I had fun building up myself.

....in typical OddJob style, this is getting really long....

I've never been a small guy. Even in top fitness form, I raced at my college football playing weight of around 195-205 lbs. I'm now around 225, and father time is taking his toll on lack of metabolic rate and regular daily activity. So, my 'midriff' has increased in size, while my agility has decreased. Hence, one aspect of my build name: Midriff-ter. The other part is the style of bike I will be building; what we commonly call a 'mid-fat' mountain bike these days. The tires will be mounted on wide rims, and be somewhere in the 2.6 - 2.8 range in width, or girth, as the case may be. :bigsmile:

Anyway.....it will be based around an aught-teens Rocky Mountain Fusion frame, Rockshox fork, my 27.5 " 35 mm wide wheels from my Klunker Kat build, a bunch of parts laying around the BACK40, and some fun with a rat-ina faux rust paint job.

A few photos to get you an idea of what's in the plan....

View attachment 229926View attachment 229929

View attachment 229925

And always, I look to the automotive world for inspiration, on design, and in this case, rat-ina.

View attachment 229927

RaT oN~!
Man! This will be good! Excited to watch.

I feel your pain OJ! I played organized ‘10+ games a year‘ football for 11 years. It definitely takes a toll…. We didn’t have a lot of this light, high tech gear these guys have now.

I had no idea about your MTB accident. I hope you’re 100%!

as discussed in other posts, my drop bar days a pretty much done. The focus now is comfort!

look forward to the build and following your patina creation!

@OddJob Your mid-riffter has definitely been gaining more slowly than mine did. I'm to the point that I lose some of it and turn around a month later and it's back.

Can wait to see the new frame. This build is gonna be great.

And if you have a vote. The MX bars all the way. More control with the wide stance. Even the 1-1/8s can be shimmed down to hold a slingshot if you wanna keep 'em.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Here are some build tunes for your shop as you build your own Rocky Mountain Way to the finish line.

“Mid-Riff-ter!” Ha! Good one OJ. Nice intro, too. I can’t believe you have a video up on day 1. Well, scratch that; actually I can.
Soul-G, great to hear from you! Are you 'IN' this year? Hope so!

I figured since @Funkme showed us hers, I'd better show you mine. :giggle:

Hers:

funk fork.jpg

That ^ is one SWEEEET fork~!

After we closed the bike shop last night, I drove into the city about 7 miles to check out the fork I was hoping to purchase. I was familiar with the model, Rock Shox Judy Solo Air 120mm travel with boost 110 x 15mm thru axle.
It actually came original to a 2019 Trek Roscoe, which is our main brand at the shop. As we are standing there and I'm checking for function, and any major damage, the seller says,

" Oh, I see you work for Freewheel. I actually bought my bike there, and they swapped out the new fork for me, too." ( I still had my shop shirt on, name tag and all!)

I asked him about his experience with the store that was located only blocks from his house. He was very positive about his customer service and availability of product. When you have 9 stores in a large metro area, sometimes you get labeled as the 'big guy' and often that comes with the assumption that you won't get that personal service you get in a small shop. We strive everyday to live by the motto " big store convenience and supply with a small shop personality". It's always good to hear first hand that it's working!

Even with my employee / factory discount we earn by doing modules on the manufacturer's website, I couldn't come close to the $75 I paid for this $320 retail list fork. Very happy !

344711216_913710083198800_7870646271512042497_n (1).jpg

( 7th grade shop project ' BIG DADDY' nameplate for @MattiThundrrr 's benefit) :wink1:

I figured since @Funkme showed us hers, I'd better show you mine. :giggle:

Hers:

View attachment 230203

That ^ is one SWEEEET fork~!

After we closed the bike shop last night, I drove into the city about 7 miles to check out the fork I was hoping to purchase. I was familiar with the model, Rock Shox Judy Solo Air 120mm travel with boost 110 x 15mm thru axle.
It actually came original to a 2019 Trek Roscoe, which is our main brand at the shop. As we are standing there and I'm checking for function, and any major damage, the seller says,

" Oh, I see you work for Freewheel. I actually bought my bike there, and they swapped out the new fork for me, too." ( I still had my shop shirt on, name tag and all!)

I asked him about his experience with the store that was located only blocks from his house. He was very positive about his customer service and availability of product. When you have 9 stores in a large metro area, sometimes you get labeled as the 'big guy' and often that comes with the assumption that you won't get that personal service you get in a small shop. We strive everyday to live by the motto " big store convenience and supply with a small shop personality". It's always good to hear first hand that it's working!

Even with my employee / factory discount we earn by doing modules on the manufacturer's website, I couldn't come close to the $75 I paid for this $320 retail list fork. Very happy !

View attachment 230202

( 7th grade shop project ' BIG DADDY' nameplate for @MattiThundrrr 's benefit) :wink1:
Well Judy's a expensive date,, lucky you on the discount...

Latest posts

Back