Midriff-ter MTB...My home from May 1 - Aug 1...pg 15 !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so is this bike done? If so, then you are the first Class 1 finisher I think, and thus qualified for winning the free pair of Thompson Classic Ball End Grips.

correct me if I'm wrong.

so is this bike done? If so, then you are the first Class 1 finisher I think, and thus qualified for winning the free pair of Thompson Classic Ball End Grips.

correct me if I'm wrong.
It's done! Thanks Ian!

I must have missed an episode. Where does that cool old blue truck fit in?
Andy, that truck was one of the inspirations for my RaT-isfying RusT-ification of the frame. It was ultimately, the image I had in my mind when I finally settled on 'the look'.

Screenshot_20230531_113225_One UI Home.jpg

Got my trail ride in before we hit 91° degrees today. And the humidity is a balmy 48 %. Tomorrow it climbs into the 60's percentile, so it's going to be a hot and sticky week in the saddle.

Back in the day we didn't have fancy top tube bags, and Camelback style backpacks, and full-suspension specific bags. We had fanny packs, and seat packs. The fanny pack came in handy for all day treks, but the seat pack could be everything from a aero shaped bag for tire repair kits for racing roadies, to a larger tools + food +CO2 air inflation kit + trail emergency gear. (and now, cell phones)

With the old skool hardtail vibe on the Midriff-ter, I chose the latter. Really diggin' this ride!

20230531_104956.jpg

20230531_105011.jpg

20230531_105055.jpg

This is a longer than usual Video Update, but consider it a 12 minute seminar on "How to set up a Tubless Tire System".

You might find it interesting.

Very informative. I've never run tubeless, but have considered it. One run a few years ago, I had 3 rim punctures in an hour or two. Rocky out here in the desert. I pack co2 cartridges now when out, but with tubes, generally have to be at 45 or more to minimize the risk.

The Last time I forgot the air, I pushed it back about 4 miles.

The 3G wheels have the shelf to go tubeless with. The Schwalbe Tough Tom's, don't say tubeless ready, though. Kevlar and Tuffy protected. May need different tires to try tubless.

This is a longer than usual Video Update, but consider it a 12 minute seminar on "How to set up a Tubless Tire System".
But isn't there literally still a tube full of air in there that gets punctured or am I missing the inner workings? I couldn't tell. Is this just like an added armor? I'd love the option for bigger tires but I was thinking about lubing up some rubber tube and stuffing them tur-duc-ken style since those "tubeless" seemed such a hassle and possibly messy when the need arises to tend to them. Is that not the case?

solid-rubber-tubes.jpgrubbertube.png
I know they'd be heavy but the peace of mind is priceless

Last edited:
But isn't there literally still a tube full of air in there that gets punctured or am I missing the inner workings? I couldn't tell. Is this just like an added armor? I'd love the option for bigger tires but I was thinking about lubing up some rubber tube and stuffing them tur-duc-ken style since those "tubeless" seemed such a hassle and possibly messy when the need arises to tend to them. Is that not the case?

View attachment 235042View attachment 235043
I know they'd be heavy but the peace of mind is priceless
There is air inside the tire, but there is no inner tube. It's just the tire pressed up against the rim by air pressure,and the sealant helps with that bond and for flat protection. The sealant coats the inside of the tire, and remains 'pliable' for 6 months or more,depending on environmental conditions.

With no inner tube,you don't ever have the chanve of a pinch flat. And you loae the weight of two inner tubes , and more importantly the 'rotating weight' is decreased, which makes a significant benefit to performance.

If you add a little fresh sealant every 3 months , just a couple ounces, it will stretch the life of your tubless set up.

A major benefit is the ride quality. Hard to describe until you try it. Very evident especially in an off-road situation.

Thanks. Does that mean you wait 6 months till it sets to ride on it?
Good one! No. The elasticity in the sealant lasts for about 6 months ,give or take. In the hot, dry, arid Sonoran Desert it's about 4 months. In humid, damp, Minnesota, anywheres from 6 - 8 or till the snow flies again. Then you change out to the Extreme Orange Seal.

Latest posts

Back