Midwest IL & Tri State Rat Rodders - Interest In An Event?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am thinking about starting an annual event here in midwestern IL (Quincy). We have a fall (October) 'Tin Dusters' gathering here every year, and I hear rumors of another hot rod show and swap meet (missed it last year), but I think it would be awesome if we did a similar event for bikes. I would like it to be a swap meet (eventually), but just a meet up would be great at first. The Tin Dusters have people come from really far away and they have been doing it for years now and it just keeps growing.

My town needs more events like this and I would love to start one. I just found another ratter in Pittsfield, about 40 miles away. So I know there are at least two of us. :p I am sure (hopeful) there are others in Missouri and Iowa that we could get here also. Some of the events that are going on already are just too far for me to drive (my vehicle is on it's last legs).

The other reason I want to do this is to promote bikes and cycling advocacy as much as I can. The 'cagers' that live here are, for lack of a better term, complete idiots when it comes to bikes and riders. I think if I/we can show them how cool some bikes are and how ratting is an art form, that we could open some minds. I have been getting a few people interested in riding since I have been living here, and everyone that sees my Nirve Switchblade loves it. As long as they aren't behind me on the road. :p

So if you live within driving distance of me (or not) and are interested, let me know. I know I can get the support of some local businesses and groups here in town as sponsors also.

Thanks.

Word. I kind of don't want to ride any coattails, but if I have to for the first few years, sure. At the same time though, that would be bad a** - awesome old cars and awesome old bikes, coexisting together.

I guess we could always 'bike bomb' the car show here. :p

There is usually a few rat rod bikes at the flying eyeball reunion show in August at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds and nobody seems to view it as "riding the coattails". But I know where you are coming from though. If you can try to make it up this way for that show or the motorcycle swap meet on Labor Day weekend. Theres always some good inspiration at either show. Hopefully I will have a bike or two for sale at the eyeball reunion. Any way not trying to hijack this but if you can come up and do some advertising at either show and possibly draw a few more from other areas. Keep me in the loop.

Latest posts

Back