Missing Cantilever frame tubing plugs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Any ideas on what I can use to plug this? So far my idea is to tap the tubing, thread in a bolt, grind the head round to match the tubing, plunge weld it in place and use JB weld to form the half round. gotta be an easier way.
CC1B8CA0-D94E-4365-BBA6-5C3BC441EA40.jpeg

Get a bolt with thread OD that is close or matches your tube ID. Shape the head into a dome with a hand drill. Drill a small hole in your canti and then plug weld it in place?
Easy cleanup on a small plug weld

Or, they make fairly large dome bolts if you can find something close. Give you a head start

You could build it on the bike with the two part epoxy putty in a roll and have barely any finish work to do. Just add more for low places, file or grind for high places.
817yHtzdyRL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Last edited:
Get a bolt with thread OD that is close or matches your tube ID. Shape the head into a dome with a hand drill. Drill a small hole in your canti and then plug weld it in place?
Easy cleanup on a small plug weld

Or, they make fairly large dome bolts if you can find something close. Give you a head start
Dome bolts, I’ll look into that. Thanks.

There are doming punches but I've never had much luck using them. That tube size is kinda small, if you know anyone who makes jewlery they may have something or know of someone. I have a set of them, somewhere... I think... haven't seen them for years.

There area also places that sell domed caps specifically for this use, but I've only bought them for motorcycles so the tubing sizes were larger than that.

It won’t match but it’s a rat so good enough. I used the dome bolt idea. I’ll pound in the collar with the bolt welded to it into the bike tubing and plug weld the collar inside the bike tubing. The bolt head is a perfect diameter match for the bike tubing. This will keep the rain out.
image.jpg

You could build it on the bike with the two part epoxy putty in a roll and have barely any finish work to do. Just add more for low places, file or grind for high places.
View attachment 224503
I’ll probably put a rolled up a ball of this stuff on my domed bolt fix. I already have this product.

Latest posts

Back