Mixed up Mixte

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This frame nearly ended up as part of a fence at a local small town bike shop. The fence project was cancelled and a heap of frames was offered up free for the taking. What could I do, right? I picked up a handful of them that looked promising. I have chosen this one for the skinny wheel buildoff. Its branded as a Sprinter, a department store bike, made in Japan, early 70s I think. I have a men's Sprinter that is complete with a Shimano 333 top tube mounted gear shifter and Shimano 3 speed hub. I think this one had a down tube mounted sifter by the looks of the unfaded band of paint on the tube. The BB and head set bearings spin smoothly and I hope that the seatpost and crank cotters will be cooperative.
IMG_2139.JPG
IMG_2140.JPG

Welcome to the build off! Cool frame to start with, keep those progress posts coming!

RaT oN~!

This frame nearly ended up as part of a fence at a local small town bike shop. The fence project was cancelled and a heap of frames was offered up free for the taking. What could I do, right? I picked up a handful of them that looked promising. I have chosen this one for the skinny wheel buildoff. Its branded as a Sprinter, a department store bike, made in Japan, early 70s I think. I have a men's Sprinter that is complete with a Shimano 333 top tube mounted gear shifter and Shimano 3 speed hub. I think this one had a down tube mounted sifter by the looks of the unfaded band of paint on the tube. The BB and head set bearings spin smoothly and I hope that the seatpost and crank cotters will be cooperative.
View attachment 211699View attachment 211701
Well the seat post removal was fairly easy and the crank cotters obliged as well. To my surprise and delight, the BB threads were well greased and the bearing cups came out with ease. But what a pile of crap in the BB shell. Not much rust. It looks like ground up plant fiber on top of the old grease. I find that it always pays to service the bottom bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
You can do some cool stuff with Mixte frames. Even chopper like muscle bikes.

That's a cool looking frame. The mixte bikes around here are too spendy for my preferences but I'll find a cheap one to play with some day. I think this will make a cool custom. :cool:

LOVE the project. I see these frames/bikes on CL and FB all the time sup cheap. I can never seem to do make it a priority pick!

can’t wait to see how this turns out.

Rust removal of shiny parts. Overnight soak in citric acid/water bath. A quick rise under the tap and yer done. Non toxic, non corrosive, cheap and no work involved. I keep a batch in the garage in a plastic tote. It has turned as black as tar but still works after soaking many chrome parts. I saw it on another forum recomended for derusting chrome parts but don't think it is a replacement for Vaporust.

Attachments

• IMG_2146.JPG
    IMG_2146.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    956.2 KB · Views: 0
Decision made. This triple tree fork from a juvenile mtb will be modified to fit the mixte frame and fitted with a 20" wheel. This is my first foray into the area of steering geometry and I have to do some research in order to end up with a rideable result. I can extend the fork legs as much as needed with 1" emt wich is a good fit over the fork stantions. Any input from the group is welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2156.JPG
    IMG_2156.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
A quick arrangement on the garage floor. I think it has potential. I wonder how much fork extension is practical.
I am contemplating deleting the seat stays and shortening the seat tube, but hesitate because then there will be no turning back. Any input?

Attachments

• IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2158.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I am contemplating deleting the seat stays and shortening the seat tube, but hesitate because then there will be no turning back
Would definitely look radical. In my head, that would really slam the bike down. You aren't the first one I've heard this idea from, I want to see it happen someday

A quick arrangement on the garage floor. I think it has potential. I wonder how much fork extension is practical.
I am contemplating deleting the seat stays and shortening the seat tube, but hesitate because then there will be no turning back. Any input?
Depending how far down you cut it, it looks like it should be strong enough. It's a really cool idea. I agree with @MattiThundrrr I'd like to see it done someday. Bike is looking cool so far!

Go for it Howie,it is early in the game. If you wreck this frame, i will find you something else to build.( if you do not have anymore frams😀). Looking good
Thanks Tucker. I think the frame would retain enough strength with the seat stays removed. If not, I suppose they could be welded back on or some other bracing added. Ya, I'm going to go for it, I think.

The extended fork came together serendipidously. The tubing that I had , fit nicely over the fork stantions and inside the lowers. The steer tube and upper stations are lengthened to fit this frame. It looks reasonable to me but the real test will be in the handling characteristics. Now to decide which rear wheel...the 27" with a caliper brake or the 24" with the coaster brake? Should the frame be lengthened in the rear? Pondering these things.

Attachments

• IMG_2167.JPG
    IMG_2167.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2164.JPG
    IMG_2164.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2162.JPG
    IMG_2162.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
The extended fork came together serendipidously. The tubing that I had , fit nicely over the fork stantions and inside the lowers. The steer tube and upper stations are lengthened to fit this frame. It looks reasonable to me but the real test will be in the handling characteristics. Now to decide which rear wheel...the 27" with a caliper brake or the 24" with the coaster brake? Should the frame be lengthened in the rear? Pondering these things.
I'd vote for 24" and a shortened seat tube...

Latest posts

Back