Modern multi-speed hubs?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulu

Stinky Old Fish
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there some comparison of modern multi-speed hubs that might help me?

I am only familiar with the 1960 Sturmey-archer three speed.

Are there multi speed hubs in current manufacture I should be looking at rather than trying to buy an antique and rebuild it?

I am basically building a heavy cruiser bicycle just for daily exercise. But I don’t like derailer bikes, and one gear is not always enough.

I prefer the two speed hubs, mainly for the simplicity, no cables or shifters to deal with. Sturmey Archer makes a kickshift hub, SRAM had a 2 speed automatic which I like also, but stopped making them, although they are still being sold. I use the SRAM on a 26" BMX and the SA kickback on my big cruiser. The difference is in the shifting, SA you choose when to shift, the SRAM shifts at a certain speed by itself.
1650664730565.png

1650664947164.png

The 3 speeds with coaster are still being made, Sturmey Archer and Nexus. The Nexus (made by Shimano) with coaster brake looks like the best deal. You need the cables and shifter too, so a whole used donor bike may be cheaper, I did that with my last 3 speed and only spent 30 dollars and had the wheel ready to go with everything. Then I put my old one speed wheel on the donor bike and sold it for 30 bucks.

1650664991745.png

OK . . . I bought a junky old bike just because it had a sturmey-archer three speed, but it’s not. The shifter yes, but the hub says AWC (II). I have no idea what that is yet but apparently it has a coaster brake in the hub and at least two speeds operate. Perhaps it only has two?

80059114-7735-4F61-BB6B-D31C468A750E.jpeg

A92F592B-5420-4AC0-A6D0-5D4CB19BA8B4.jpeg
C548F125-B19A-4DAA-A2AC-2C79602C0A35.jpeg

4B5B1304-DB9E-4C8F-97F5-3DC7CB4F81B2.jpeg

Edit . . . .
Yeah it is a S-A hub. I had to go look it up. I don't know WTH is up with the big "recycle' sticker? Maybe this bike was stolen from some city bike sharing business. I'd better chop it fast . . . LOL

Last edited:
Check out the Sheldon Brown website for info about Sturmey and other internally geared hubs.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html

My preference is to the Nexus7 and Nexus8 as I've been able to find several complete bikes over the years with very low use for $50-125.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the data guys.

The hub that I owned back in the 60s was Not a coaster brake model. I actually never knew that such a thing existed until recently.

This is so cool because it gets me out of the caliper brake business.

View attachment 190961

Those are a little bit older than yours, hope the information is useful
The drawing says AWC mark 2 which is what my hub says, so it must be the same. At least internally. The housing appears to have a slightly different design.

Since this is going to be the hub on my BBO build bike, I’m not going to take it apart until the contest starts. I will know more then. Basically I bought this whole bike just for that hub, and the stylish chain guard, to put on a sort of power cruiser muscle bike.

OK . . .Maybe this bike was stolen from some city bike sharing business. I'd better chop it fast . . . LOL

Well I’m afraid there will be no intrigue about this one. I found a sticker on it and this was sold by a legit shop. But I tried to call them and then I looked him up on Google.

It turns out it has been closed for good. Evidently the owner passed away.

The drawing says AWC mark 2 which is what my hub says, so it must be the same. At least internally. The housing appears to have a slightly different design.

Since this is going to be the hub on my BBO build bike, I’m not going to take it apart until the contest starts. I will know more then. Basically I bought this whole bike just for that hub, and the stylish chain guard, to put on a sort of power cruiser muscle bike.
If the hub operates well with some lubrication, I wouldn't open it up.

I have sturmey 2 and 3 speeds, shimano 3,4 and 7. I have three 7 speed hubs and they are my favourite. The coasters on them are a little week compared to the 3 speed nexus but I also have front brakes.

So far everybody says the Sturmey is the strongest. The hub appears to work fine and does not sound gritty.

I wish it had a port on so I could force some oil through it with an air hose. I don’t wanna take it apart at this point either, and I only bought this bike because the hub seems to work perfectly. I really didn’t like anything else about the bike.

I’m afraid it might have some water inside the hub from this thing laying in the rain, or being submerged, possibly. This bike was really dirty. The guy I bought it from was certainly not the original owner and there’s no reason to believe that at some point this bike wasn’t stolen and thrown in the water, and then recovered You wouldn’t believe the amount of mud that washed out of the chain.

BTW When I said I didn’t know if this was a Sturmey-archer hub, (obviously it was) I meant that I didn’t know if it was a real English hub or made in Asia. Of course it is labeled, but with no country of manufacture AFAICT.
268C3146-E33D-4CEC-BB11-A0A8A3C3A94E.jpeg

It looks to be one of the later Taiwanese hubs. They are nicely built. I have not pulled one apart but all the coaster brake hubs I have worked on, you can open them up from the coaster arm side and inspect the internals. I wouldn’t open it up if it is working fine.

With that label, it is a newer Taiwan made hub, but they have good reviews. They are made to keep dust out of the internals, so maybe it's clean inside. I have used light oil and added it without loosening the guts. I take off the shifter and unscrew the little chain and let the oil drip down into the hole in the axle. Then let it work in. That has worked well for me on many of the different 3 speed hubs over the years. I'm now using a SA S2C, 2 speed with coaster on my bike.
I agree on having a front brake as an extra. If the chain comes off or breaks, you have no brakes except your feet. I need to add one to my bike, but the rim is too wide for a V brake, a caliper may work.

25 apr 22 ride.jpg

Latest posts

Back