Monark Sparker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hè guys!

It's been a few years but it's time again to enter another buildoff[emoji322]

My last entry was BO9, had a lot of fun that year so i decided to join again for BO16

My starting point is an Electra Sparker SPL aluminum frame. Always liked the way these "flatfoot technology" frames ride. She's white and i kinda like it!
So probably not gonna change the color, but ya never know[emoji28].

I bought a repro Monark springer for it that needs to be remade since the steering tube is too short and it needs to be threaded. So i will have to add a piece of threaded forktube and weld it on. I think i also have to create a new spring plate (i don't knowhow to call it[emoji6]). It also has to be longer i think, bit i'll see that after mockup. Also have to repaint it, i think in glossy black.

I have a set of wide alu rims, slick in the front, and a classic profile tire in the rear. Front hub will also be alu. Black spokes. Nexus 3 with automatic shifting so i can keep the handlebars clean.

Small apehanger and a leather seat from Lepper. And for the rest mostly polished aluminium parts

The bike is Japan bobber style inspired, but i can't find the pics i used, i will get back on that
5de3881fa09d36c9b1ec9c74b3696231.jpg
126ddf2cad710a601b8030dd494a1d68.jpg
114ee4874a39c351355d6b38ef1fb5a7.jpg
dbe2c3ded104621689e791d75e7775ba.jpg
22f94577cc1effb1d544334926abb573.jpg
a975edf24ded86185f16b2ceaba2b7d7.jpg
15feb377568915ed6f5b247a3747aac4.jpg
ff27ac4646842ece1f0c670c366ab5bf.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn motorola one met Tapatalk

Great parts pile and ideas! Looking forward to your build.

RaT oN!

Super parts to build up on!
Welcome back to the fun man!

Interesting shift! The only ones I remember seeing were Autobikes at a low end sporting goods place that used weights on the spokes to move a rear derailleur. This seems like a much better idea.

Interesting shift! The only ones I remember seeing were Autobikes at a low end sporting goods place that used weights on the spokes to move a rear derailleur. This seems like a much better idea.
There is also auto-D for Nexus 4 and here in Holland there were also 21 speed fully automatic DI2 bikes. Those were crazy, they even controlled the suspension stiffness. Sadly there are no more parts available for these systems.

As some of you might say...

GET TA BUILDING!

I need a longer forktube and it needs to be longer, so i'll use this bike for parts.
Need the rear hub too and i also think i'm gonna use the thing that holds the handlebars ( sorry don't know the english name[emoji28]).
I'm gonna polish it so it matches the rims and front hub.

Do you guys have any tips hoe i can make the rear hub matching? Because i don't like how it looks now.

And oh yeah, my electric shifting unit came in today [emoji322]

It's a bit larger than i thought though...
4b8b83f357ba6760b2e6c37a3013809a.jpg
ec4afdcda9b162b438fec7c759e0fc66.jpg
8ed31c64896bf7594d52ff494972668b.jpg
e031b155e25a539c118f99aa9e1d44d2.jpg

The Nexus hub shell is made of the same aluminium as your stem, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Take the wheel apart, slightly tighten the locknuts, not too much not to squish the bearings, but enough to prevent the axle rotation. Then put the axle to your drill chuck and put it on very slow rotation. Don't go fast because of the hub weight it can easily fly away and brake something :)
When you have your hub rotating, get some fine sanding paper, like 800, and sand it. You may also make it wet if you like, it woud polish up better, but you'd also need to change the sanding paper more often. Repeat with the paper grid 1000 and 2000. Apply some cloth with polishing paste to finish it up and you get yourself a nice mirror finish hub.

• i also think i'm gonna use the thing that holds the handlebars ( sorry don't know the english name
    emoji28.png
    ).

That is called the "stem" in english.

Never seen the autoshift for the nexus3 except for the one that was on the Trek Lime

The Nexus hub shell is made of the same aluminium as your stem, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Take the wheel apart, slightly tighten the locknuts, not too much not to squish the bearings, but enough to prevent the axle rotation. Then put the axle to your drill chuck and put it on very slow rotation. Don't go fast because of the hub weight it can easily fly away and brake something :)
When you have your hub rotating, get some fine sanding paper, like 800, and sand it. You may also make it wet if you like, it woud polish up better, but you'd also need to change the sanding paper more often. Repeat with the paper grid 1000 and 2000. Apply some cloth with polishing paste to finish it up and you get yourself a nice mirror finish hub.
Ok thanks, i thought it was a steel hub because of the brake.

I'll give it a try!

Latest posts

Back