Monark Tank Bike 24 x 20

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I found this bike....Well right here on RatRods. I am making it into a 24 x 20 chopper. This is just a quick mock up of it. The headtube is to short for the fork tube. Anyone know how I can extend the headtube so the forks will fit right. I was thinking of making a extention similar to the bearing cups but bigger to fit in the headtube. It will get new paint and chrome when finished. Here are a few pics of the start.

Monark24x20009_zps97fc2f4d.jpg

Monark24x20006_zps0f8595e8.jpg

Monark24x20005_zpsd8346620.jpg

For my wife's bike, I cut an inch off of the head tube from a crap BMX frame, and welded it on to the bottom of her head tube, extending it. Grinder blended it, and it's hard to tell that the bottom is longer unless it's pointed out.

I have taken two sets of bearing cups and put one inside the other and weld the gap between the two bearing cups so it adds about a half inch on each side. Looks kinda weird but works.

First off, sweet looking combo! All Monark, all cool!

As for you headset 'issue', I've used a 1" pipe nipple from Home Depot. It's a little 'DIY' looking, but if you're gonna stick with the patina look, it might fit in.

I had the exact same issue when I put a girls Monark fork on my Fatbelly Bobber frame (Huffy)
afterprofile5.jpg

So, assuming there's enough threads on the fork, install the fork, thread on the top bearing race until it snugs up and holds the fork in place.

Then slip the spacer on,(I used my Dremel to clean up the inside so it would slide on easier) slip on the top springer bracket, then thread on the top nut.

If you want a cleaner look, here's some headset spacers on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk..._nkw=1+inch+headset+spacer&_sacat=0&_from=R40

There is an another alternative. You could find another 26" fork with a shorter steer tube or use the stock 24" fork and flip the top springer bracket upside down.

Good luck dude!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back