Morrow hub shells and others

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In August I cleaned out an old bike shop that closed in 1960. Stuff was so crusty I didn't know what it was. There were 20 some old drop center wheels and rims. The bent ones were recycled as were the 24 inchers. I used what I could building two skip tooth bikes. Today I dismantled the wheels that had hub shells with no guts. I soaked the Hubs and brushed them off to see what I had. I got 3 Morrow coaster hubs, coded P, Q and N. THe N is a black one from a military bike. I also go a front New Departure shell, 2 complete New Departure Model Ds and 3 New Departure hub shells. I also got 2 wheels with New Departure Hubs that I used on the two of the bikes I built from all this wonderful stuff. I don't know what to do with all these gutless hub shells and rims.

Dismantled drop center rims.
IMG_0611 1.JPG

Some of the Hubs, one New Departure and one Morrow are still soaking in solvent.
IMG_0609 1.JPG

Morrow (Eclipse) code N (1944) hub shell.
IMG_0605.JPG

Morrow hub shel code G (1937).
IMG_0608.JPG

I made an error, the complete coaster hub pictured above in the cardboard box is a New Departure model A. I cleaned it off enough to read the script. I took the other New Departure hub shell out of solvent and cleaned it and it is a model C. I am going to dismantle and clean the model A hub and lace it to a wood wheel that was also in the old bike shop stash. It is currently in 3 pieces but with glue, sandpaper, varnish, filler and relacing it will become a wall hanger.

Latest posts

Back