Motobecane Grand Jubile

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pondo

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went into town this afternoon to run errands and this cool old touring bike followed me home. It’s an early 80s (81 or 82) Motobecane Grand Jubile. For $50 I think it was a pretty good deal. Apparently it got used quite a bit in the 80s but has been parked for the last 35 years. It’s a pretty decent bike. It came equipped with Shimano 600 derailleurs and cranks. The rear wheel and derailleur have been swapped so the originals probably wore out. The downtube shifters have been swapped for Suntour bar end shifters, which I like. From my research these weigh around 23 lbs. Frame and fork are made of Vitus 172 tubing. It was well cared for. Despite having been parked for decades it’s still in really good condition. And it rides really well too. The only thing I’ve done so far is to lower the seat a smidge. Plans are for a sympathetic restoration. The original paint is gorgeous, I love the frame and fork lugs. So a deep clean, new tires, cables and brake pads and probably new bar tape & a shorter stem. Maybe a Brooks if I hate the Avocet. I’m pretty stoked on this one. Can’t wait to put in some miles.
IMG_1702.jpeg
IMG_1703.jpeg
IMG_1704.jpeg
IMG_1705.jpeg
IMG_1706.jpeg
IMG_1707.jpeg
IMG_1708.jpeg
IMG_1709.jpeg
IMG_1710.jpeg
IMG_1711.jpeg
IMG_1712.jpeg

Nice. I still have my old Jubilee Sport from high school, probably around 1985-86. It's been hanging in the shed forever, you have reminded me that maybe I should get it out and air up the tires and see if it all still works.

20200324_160634.jpg

Nice. I still have my old Jubilee Sport from high school, probably around 1985-86. It's been hanging in the shed forever, you have reminded me that maybe I should get it out and air up the tires and see if it all still works.

View attachment 279677

They are pretty cool bikes. I expected to be buying this one for the parts but it’s just too nice and good riding for that.

Latest posts

Back