Motorized Bicycles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a few of the bikes I've built...
vmbratrod2.jpg

vmbchopper6-1.jpg

vmbdyno3.jpg

VMBRatFinkbike004.jpg

3a46e8b5-1.jpg

I wanted to build a motorized bike, but I didn't have a spare bike for the build, so I started asking around and a friend gave me a 1950 Columbia frame and a set of wheels. I built the bike up and made it a rider and pedaled it for a couple days before putting the engine on it. In those days I was directed towards this site... I had built a rat rod bike and didn't even know it!

I was kinda bummed to be putting a chinese engine on such a cool bike, but it was the only one I had for the task:

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

Well, good news, since building that bike just a few months ago I have aquired over 20 free bikes, and just this weekend nabbed a Schwinn that will take the engine better than the Columbia and I will have the classic from now on leg powered only.

Oh yeah, the tank was never meant to be permanent, it just kept me from mounting the goofy looking peanut tank. I welded together a cylinder gas tank to mount under the seat, but it's pretty heavy, so I think when this take goes on the next bike I will make a sheet metal cover for it and paint it.

My problem with the peanut tank is that it mimics a motorcycle tank, and I want a motorized bike to look more like a bike than a motorcycle.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
WOW! Love it! What kind of fork is that??
I agree, those are nice...at first glance, i thought they were Monarks (duel parallel fork tubes), then they came together after the bend.

I Put a motor on my Flightliner for a little bit, unfortunately I burnt the clutch out after a 15 mile ride..I have to admit it was not fun to have to pedal it with all that extra weight on an already heavy bike! I liked it though, it was a solid ride. If I ever put another motor on a bike it's going to be electric/power assist, as unobtrusive as possible....

HGNSFLTLNR1.jpg

RHTR.jpg

LFTR.jpg

HGNS11.jpg

I see a few of my motorized bike friends are here so maybe I should post too.

Here's my tribute to the movie classic Easy Rider with my Nirve Switchblade
with some custom touches to give it the look and feel of Captain America
Done4_zps7d61b63b.jpg

Done8_zpsb403a3da.jpg

Tom

Since I posted last I've taken the plunge. I bought the Pope with the motor attached and board tracked it...
oboy2.jpg

btr5a.jpg

I felt a little nervous about motorizing an 76 year old bike so I used the motor to build another...
motobike1a.jpg

It has recently been sold. I would have probably kept it if there was some way of making it legal in my state...
PS I kept the Pope.

My motorized bike is legal in this state and fun, but kind of scares me after my shoulder surgery, I'm pretty sure I'll be taking the engine off this bike and selling it because I doubt I could sell the bike complete. PM if interested, it's all just a thought right now.

CA5EAAAC-6E9E-4648-81E6-1FB1C2A36C0D-9755-000006E138821E83.jpg

Latest posts

Back