Mt Washington Auto Race 2011

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Went to this last weekend. North America's oldest motorsport event! It's been off for 10 or 11 years so I was excited to go to it again with my boys. Lots of interresting cars; vintage, new, 2wd, 4wd, home made and one uh...truck. Subaru dominated by sheer numbers, followed by Mitsu. There was a custom Hyundai Tiburon that looked stock but it was hiding a complete Turbo Audi driveline. The Historic cars were cool, we had an "in" with one of the drivers and got to enter the private paddock and the kids sat in an Allard and a Packard with an inline 8.

see more insanity at ClimbtotheClouds.com

So now there is a new top speed of 114mph held by the same guy who had the previous record of 113 in a home made car sporting a Cheverolet big block.
ff4.jpg

The new bottom to top record is 6min-11sec set by this specially prepared Subaru Imprezza WRX STI (shattered the prior record of 6-47 held by Sprongle in a 500hp Audi)
950_0866.jpg

The Super Chicken; home made aluminum cage supporting a turbo Audi powerplant and drivetrain, this thing hammered!
950_0870.jpg

950_0868.jpg

Various cars
950_0878.jpg

950_0879.jpg

950_0880.jpg

950_0881.jpg

950_0877.jpg

950_0876.jpg

950_0861.jpg

950_0862.jpg

Oh, did I mention a Freightliner, this thing stole the show, he holds nothing back, 1400hp!
950_0863.jpg

950_0864.jpg

so cool. Was Travis Pastrana piloting the WRX?

I want to do the bicycle time trial up Mt Washington, but the entry fee is like $300 and you don't get your money back if it's canceled due to weather. I can't stomach that.

I'd also like to do the running race up it.

my understanding is that pastrana is driving for Ford now. Subaru sent David Higgins instead.

You can view Pastrana's 2010 run on you tube or there is a link right on the site.

Lots of cars had camera's on the roof so I'm hoping more video's will pop up soon.

I got to talk with Jerry Driscoll, the owner driver of the Patriot modified before his run. Nice guy, in his 70's I would guess!

My kids got to sit in the 1931 Studebaker Indy Car and the 1950 Allard J2. Really cool open wheeled, cigar bodied racers.

I'm kind of partial to the VW's and the unique small cars like the 510 and the Opel but the V8's rocked!

We were sitting up the road on the cliffs (check the photo with the cars coming down, just behind the Freightliner), that corner is totally blind, the fast guys were drifting it edge to edge. Like I always say, the fastest way around a corner is SLIDEWAYS........

Latest posts

Back