MTB/BMX w/ Coaster Brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am wanting to convert to coaster (I know it's a worn out question). The frame has vertical dropouts but I do have a tensioner and some half links laying around. I've done some googling and some say a new rear coaster wheel should be enough? Feedback please...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaster brake can not be used with any sort of chain tensioner or derailer.

Best would be to single speed your existing Freehub(cassette) or Freewheel. Then just use the existing brakes.

I've converted a lot of mountainbikes to a coasters brake and it is always possible, but you'll have to look at your rear sprocket, is it a narrow one for 3/32 chain?

And for the tension you.can try with different sizes sprockets.
But try to keep your chain allignement good and straight..
Just like cman says you cant use a derailleur(dont know the english word..) for tension because when you kick for braking it loose tension you know what i mean?

Sorry for the bad english btw...
Frank

Customize!

So the main issue with a vertical dropout is the tension? I think the half link in the chain may fix that. I won't be out big bucks if it doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more costly way to adjust tension, eccentric bottom bracket.

E46%20BB.jpg

The EBB pictured will work with frames that have a PF30 BB shell. Most EBBs will not work on a regular BSA-threaded BB shell. (Someone was manufacturing BSA compat EBBs a few years back-- think it was Forward Cycls or Forward components or something. They're now defunct. Only other option is Trickstuff with their Exzentriker, whichif you can even find one, goes for 190euro plus shipping from das motherland! http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/exzentriker_KL.php ) As someone else mentioned, you're most likely going to need to find a "magic gear" ratio, and a half-link could help you find that ratio...

So many frames have track ends or horizontal dropouts; why not use a more suitable frame for this project?

Latest posts

Back