Mundo Cycles... anyone?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyGold

Epic Level Bike Hoarder! 🏆
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
So...this bike showed up on CL a month ago. I've spent countless hours staring at the three pics in the ad trying to figure out what it was. It hits three of my buttons in that it is old-school, looptail, and camelback...BUT ALL ON THE SAME BIKE! :41:

It had some nasty pretend gold and over steel Shimano wheels. The forks, and I'm sure bars (well, 10" rise seems like a lot for factory bars) and stem, are Schwinn. The chain wheel and spider are sugino (probably the cranks to, but won't know til I pull them).
IMG_20180208_205457186.jpg
IMG_20180208_205507048.jpg
IMG_20180208_205526432.jpg

...it looks a lot like my MacNeil's grandfather...
IMG_20170226_143943304.jpg

So, anybody know anything about Mundo Cycles...seems it was a German company, but that is all I can find...and no mention of Mundo BMX. It could be some modified non-bmx bike as the welds aren't great and there is a lot of splatter for a production bike.

Jason

Btw...more gussets!
2018-02-08 21.27.54.jpg

Bbtw...there is no way that standard brakes are going to reach a 20" wheel

2018-02-08 21.32.46.jpg
2018-02-08 21.33.38.jpg

...that would be with the wheel slammed all the way forward, will clear 24s at 2/3rds back :crazy:.

I may have found my first BMX to run 22"ers on ( with an 18" toptube :bigsmile:)

...not German.

Mundo Cycles was part of the West Coast Cycle Supply Company brands (Howard Cohen). They were, from what little I can glean, made by Caloi of Brazil. Caloi made some pretty cool looking BMXers starting in 1980-ish...they were Mongoose copies at first, and then after E.T. became Kuwahara copies :bigsmile:. So, this frame probably predates the Caloi (Caloicross) BMX bikes...so, late 70s. But, I can find no pics, no mention, no nothing of anything Mundo Cycles that isn't a road bike or folder.

Jason

So, with the 20s on it when I got it, there were huge gaps that made me wonder if this could have been originally a 24" frame. So I snagged a pair of 24s off a redline I have around.
IMG_20180212_134249043.jpg
IMG_20180212_134521367_TOP.jpg
IMG_20180212_134501839.jpg

I was holding out some slim hope that these reinforced Ashtabulas were 24"ers...but, definitely 20s. The 24s easily fit in the back, but leave not enough reach for the brakes...I assume that is a brake bridge as I don't think a normal length brake arm could reach from the dropouts to where the brake clamp would have to be for a coaster.

I like the look of it as a stubby 24. However, my next step is to disassemble to look for original paint evidence and numbers...as I'm starting to wonder if the cranks, forks, stem, and/or bars are original to the frame, as they appear to be all the same general era. I've already checked out the forks, and they appear to be unmarked... which would be consistent with contracted forks for another manufacturer (Early goose Ashtabulas were unstamped).

So, if I can find evidence that the BMX parts are original to the bike... I'll keep it all together and run 22s on it, as the bike would be truly rare (though, truly worthless :grin:). If not, I'll probably build it as a stubby 24 :wink1:.

Jason

I have a German made Mundo , I was given this in about 1975. It was used then, from what I remember. It came with a headlight, that was powered by a small generator driven off the front tire. It also had chrome fenders ,front and rear. The rims were magnesium, it is a 10 speed, yellow but where there are chips in the paint, it was blue !
I will try and get some photos posted.

Woohoo!

Just the ol' combo of big vacation...new job...first grandkid...holidays...new shift...etc.

I'm still trying to work myself back into the groove as this job is far more intense that the previous one.

The Utah vacation was a couple weeks...I was going to post an update daily...but, it was planned by my younger daughter and she's a slave driver...also, it turns out RV parks and campgrounds in Utah tend to have crappy internet!

Great trip though!

Woohoo!

Just the ol' combo of big vacation...new job...first grandkid...holidays...new shift...etc.

I'm still trying to work myself back into the groove as this job is far more intense that the previous one.

The Utah vacation was a couple weeks...I was going to post an update daily...but, it was planned by my younger daughter and she's a slave driver...also, it turns out RV parks and campgrounds in Utah tend to have crappy internet!

Great trip though!
Happy to hear all is well man!
Congrats on the grandkid!!

Latest posts

Back