MUSCLE BIKE BUILD-OFF #02! Done and dusted!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Edit: Now that the Build-off is started, I will use this as a notification thread.

Hey all!

Jake "Oleskool" and I have been shooting pm's back and forth about doing another "Anything goes Muscle bike build-off" and it looks like we have come up with a time-frame and guidelines...

TIME-FRAME: 1st October to 1st December 2013.

GUIDELINES: Whatever you want! Scratch build, modify or accessorize, prefer muscle bike vibe but pretty flexible! (See the last one for ideas: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=68143&st=0&sk=t&sd=a viewtopic.php?f=43&t=70148 )

Last time we had plenty of newer members in the mix, and it was a great way for us all to get into building bikes, we pushed ourselves harder than we otherwise would have and ended up with some very cool bikes! So, whether you are a newer member, been here from the start or anything in-between, have a think about joining in!

The timeline is longer this time too, last time was only 6 weeks and it was a mad rush at the end!

My wife and I will offer up another "Crunchie" chocolate bar pack to the bike with the most votes too! :wink:

Luke.

Re: THE MUSCLE BIKE BUILD OFF IS BACK! OCT-DEC 2013.

I'm in. If ya guys are still letting folks join. let me know. thanks

Sounds good Diabolical_Dork! The more the merrier! :D Last time one of the entrants entered when there was only 2 build weeks left! They finished and made a great bike, so people are welcome to join well into the build period, provided they share the build, not just show up with a finished bike... :wink:

Luke.

Hmmm... can I re-do Chopster? :)

I never was really happy with it and so some parts of it were used on Rattled. If I did join the build off, I would most likely stretch Chopster. I would replace the BB as well as I could never get the cranks off, so I would cut it out and add a different one and... well who knows really, I pretty much make stuff up as I go along and forget what I planned anyway. :roll:

So if a re-do is ok, then I will most likely be in. 8)

I may have to play along too. I've been wanting to do a muscle bike build for awhile.

Pretty sure no-one will have a problem with that Glen! Welcome back! :D (I plan to use some modified parts I already have too...)
Welcome aboard Chips_Mahoy! :D

So that's five builders entered, a good start but the more the better!!!

Luke.

So when you say Muscle Bike you mean Ape Hangers Slicks and Banana seats? :D

RailRider said:
So when you say Muscle Bike you mean Ape Hangers Slicks and Banana seats? :D
That's the general idea! We also allowed in chopper styles and the like too... We are pretty flexible, bigger tire on the back than the front is also a cool way to get the muscle bike thing happening... :wink:

Luke.

Re: ANY MORE BUILDERS FOR THE MUSCLE BIKE BUILDOFF? OCT-DEC 2013

Hey Luke!

I would be interested. My schedule for the next few months is open.

Rich

I'm in too if it's not too late - just happy to share a build and I was about to start a new one anyway - I have a chrome stretch cruiser that has some rust pitting (I've learned the value of extra clearcoat and carwax living in S. Florida since then - ocean air smells great but....), so I wanted to really strip this down to frame and do some new paint on it that gradient fades into the chrome, and then completely change the style of it also. I've been on a apehanger/sissybar/chopper look kick for too long and want to head in the opposite direction and go really ground hugging look instead with maybe some twisted chrome accents and down-turned handlebars who knows.... Just by being active in the forum it's made me wish I had welding equipment and tube benders etc. and a shop to really get down and dirty - the real custom work done by members on this site just blows me away.... I love watching all the custom build car shows, but the nice thing about bikes is they don't cost $20k plus, so this is great.....

Welcome back Rich! Good to have you on board!

LowAndStretched, I am not sure if the build you have planned will fit as a "Muscle bike" style? Apehangers and sissy bars are the kind of things that make a muscle bike what it is... Sounds like a very cool build you have in mind though, I would love to follow it!

Luke.

Ha don't I feel like a newbie now - for some reason when I heard Muscle Bike I thought of this style:

images

Ok sorry for the rookie mistake - I'm still in though - the other build I have to do is exactly that muscle bike as now correctly known.... I'll be doing both over this time-frame soon anyway...

Oh sorry I should make sure before committing - can a Muscle Bike be a 26" frame or does that disqualify?

Thanks...

Ok again sorry - found the answer if Wikipedia can be relied on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheelie_bike

States that 16"-20" tires are part of the classification, so I'll have to watch this one from the sidelines since mine will be 26"er....

Glad to learn about the specifics of the classification though for sure thanks...

LowAndStretched said:
Oh sorry I should make sure before committing - can a Muscle Bike be a 26" frame or does that disqualify?

Thanks...
We are cool with 26 Inch builds, provided you have the other style features of a muscle bike, it's all good! Actually there were some 24 Inch versions back in the 60's and 70's anyway, so your not far off!

Last time I think most of us were running rear tires that measured out at 26 inch's! We cant fit on the little ones!

This is Glens Chopster, made from a 26 inch mountain bike:
DSC_9960.jpg

This is BigFatCat's Mortition, I think from memory a 26 inch rear wheel:
ebe40d47a1ad62e44c151ca072a084f0.jpg

My bike from last time, rear wheel from a HD Sportster, measured out at 26 Inch's tall:
8540899713_69a96eceea_c.jpg

I am not sure what size tires the other finisher Krandall had, may have been a 24 on the rear?

Luke.

Latest posts

Back