Muscle Punk.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over here in Aus muscle bikes are typically known as dragsters, but Drag Punk doesn’t seem to have the same ring to it.

I picked up this modern department store Mambo Dragster for cheap a little while ago and now have a plan. Steam Punk styling over the basic bike. Bit of copper tubing, some bits and bobs and a little paint. Should be easy?
6F2F89B8-74B0-4522-8A8D-47134855D5CC.jpeg
600269CC-031B-437D-8717-167BD687849B.jpeg
0CF45863-D5A0-405B-A537-2FE9516722D6.jpeg

I probably should be finishing some other builds, but there’s plenty of time (just like build off 14?). I do need to do something with this so I can move it on.

Last edited:
Oops. Pics aren’t on my phone, mustn’t have taken any yet. I’ll have to grab some in the morning.

Step one: remove stickers.

Last edited:
Looks like a great starting point!
RaT oN~!

I hope you're keeping the seat...
I love steam punk done right though.

Carl.

Seriously? Why would anyone remove those stickers? I mean, what's classier than a dog making butt music?
They had me laughing too. Is that the actual logo for the bike? I can't imagine getting away with marketing a bike in the US with an image of a dog lighting a fart. :21::rofl:

There was a bit of a kerfuffle when Mambo first did that logo burn it has become their most recognised work. Initially it was a musical note, can be seen in the stickers on the floor. The flames seem to be a more modern variation I hadn’t seen before despite having the same bike a few years ago.

Yeah, without the stickers, it's just a big metal slab. Maybe it needs some kind of hand done punkey lettering

32C01C91-FAB8-4646-804B-15238F15DD18.jpeg
Step 2: disassembled a cassette or two.

A chain guard is supposed to protect you from the chain, but what if you at dozens of pointy teeth to one?
114D74D0-4AD7-4DFC-98C1-2DAC6AE4E511.jpeg

Not complete yet, but it’s close to dinner time and too hot to be welding anymore. Needs a little more along the top to fill between the cogs.

We aren’t in real danger here at home, but there’s plenty of smoke around. Fires in the hills on the horizon. Over a million hectares burnt in the last month in our state. Situation is dire.
A74B4F3F-0738-47DA-8768-6340F89F031B.jpeg

This is on our fires-near-me app showing from Brisbane to Sydney. Hundreds of houses lost, 4 fatalities and thousands of fire fighters hard at it.
332A7FFA-2990-471B-9321-0F20AB2C270B.jpeg

Last edited:
Hacked up a few mudguards (fenders) and added some bits.
43E6A1C5-6DCC-40BF-A2EC-9278C9A07070.jpeg

Just riveted on the cut off tails. I figured rivers work with the steam punk side of things.

Added some body filler - roughly. It was nudging 40oC and the Fuller was going off really quickly so it’s not a flash job. Sanded it back a bit and sling on some primer.
ED28250F-E456-4D72-856B-A8F073DE990A.jpeg

Taking this one down to the wire. Summer heat and other projects took a lot of time away from bikes. I’m hoping it’ll get to a reasonable finish point.

Hacked up a few mudguards (fenders) and added some bits.
View attachment 112452
Just riveted on the cut off tails. I figured rivers work with the steam punk side of things.

Added some body filler - roughly. It was nudging 40oC and the Fuller was going off really quickly so it’s not a flash job. Sanded it back a bit and sling on some primer.
View attachment 112453

Taking this one down to the wire. Summer heat and other projects took a lot of time away from bikes. I’m hoping it’ll get to a reasonable finish point.
Dig these fish tails!

Thanks. I’m hoping they add to the steam-punk vibe. They were a late addition for the concept.

Have added some paint to the guards and rims. Pics to come when installed.

My plan to ‘borrow’ a bit of work time today was thwarted by a storm. Dropped a massive branch over the work shed and meant limiting time in there and moving stuff out until the experts tell me it’s safe. Particularly because the remaining tree looks pretty dangerous too. Combine that with football training and back to school for the kids means less build time during the week. However, tomorrow off.

7E62A226-766B-4EC0-ADE3-AB1C996C4CEF.jpeg
2147131B-0712-442E-9E8A-A6D9B07EBC5A.jpeg

Latest posts

Back