Must rant to someone about my diet soda issues.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
OK, so years ago I quit drinking regular soft drinks and switched to diet, was tough at first, but now I can't drink a regular drink and I love and crave diet soft drinks. In mid-2007 I had my first Pepsi Max, zero calorie, low sodium, extra caffeine and ginseng. I loved it and have been drinking it ever since. I talked to my local Pepsi deliver man at the time because I loved it so much and I was afraid it would be "for a limited time" but he assured me it was a permanent product, and I'd say 4+ years later that he was right, plus all their Pepsi Max advertising during the Super Bowl made me feel pretty good about it's future.

Anyway, where I live there is a gas station/convenience store 1 block from the house and then about half a mile from the house in between the house and church there is another gas station convenience store. I regularly get my change together and hit up either one of these places for diet sodas. We normally don't keep quantities of soda at the house because I drink them too quick.

Anyway, lately both of the stores close to the house quit stocking Pepsi Max. I talked to the owner of one of the stores and the lady who orders/stocks for the other store about the Pepsi Max being gone, both told me that it wasn't a good seller... what? :? Both places carried just a small section of Pepsi Max and in between stocking I would regularly buy the last one or come in and have to buy something else because they were out. How is it not a good seller if they ALWAYS have to reorder? I just don't get it, now I just go out of my way for Pepsi Max, but I like to give these little businesses my patronage, even though I know I pay to much for individual drinks.

This really reminds me of a story my father-in-law tells, when he was a boy (in his mid 60s now) the little grocery in the tiny rural crossroads he lived in brought in some oranges one december around Christmas, they quickly sold every orange (in maybe a day or two) so the lady ordered and got in some more and they quickly sold out again. Someone asked the lady when she would be getting in some more oranges and she answered, "I don't think I'm going to order any more... I can't keep them on the shelf." haha

Anyway, I'll make due, I just want to do my part to keep buying Pepsi Max to insure that it will be around for a long time. And before anyone says anything, I hate water, so don't get me started.

artificial sweeteners are not good, and caffeine is really bad for you. It dilates your small capillaries and decreases blood flow to your extremities. You should really try to get off it, or decrease it to one caffeinated beverage a day.

if you need to stay awake or energized, you can take ginko-biloba, it's much better for you.

oh, and when food products begin to be taken off the shelves near me, I buy them in large quantities on amazon dot com.

scrumblero said:
do a google on aspartame poisoning, you will be drinking pepsi throwback tomorrow I bet. :shock:

I did, and snopes.com told me not to worry: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
artificial sweeteners are not good, and caffeine is really bad for you. It dilates your small capillaries and decreases blood flow to your extremities. You should really try to get off it, or decrease it to one caffeinated beverage a day.

if you need to stay awake or energized, you can take ginko-biloba, it's much better for you.

oh, and when food products begin to be taken off the shelves near me, I buy them in large quantities on amazon dot com.

Caffeine, I have quit it before, but it's just hard to avoid, it's everywhere. By not keeping colas in the house I only average about 1 a day.

As for staying awake or being energized, I am ADHD and caffeine has the opposite effect on me, it actually calms me and makes me tired. Years ago when I use to drink energy drinks I would drink one before bed if I was tired to help me sleep better. Last week I took a van of our youth on a trip to Orlando Florida, leaving at 7:30pm Thursday night and driving through the night I had to be careful when I stopped to get something to drink that I got something with little to no caffeine so I would stay alert, milk was the answer.

Wow, I was reading the 'example' article on Snopes, and it was making me worry! Then read the responses, and calmed down. I do drink a lot of diet! Before that, which would be about 6 years ago, I'd fill up my 52 oz Extreme Gulp mug with Coke Classic, and grab a brownie. I'd keep a couple cans in my lunch cooler to fill it back up at lunchtime! So I was probably consuming over a pound of sugar a day! :shock: Anything's better than that! -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Wow, I was reading the 'example' article on Snopes, and it was making me worry! Then read the responses, and calmed down. I do drink a lot of diet! Before that, which would be about 6 years ago, I'd fill up my 52 oz Extreme Gulp mug with Coke Classic, and grab a brownie. I'd keep a couple cans in my lunch cooler to fill it back up at lunchtime! So I was probably consuming over a pound of sugar a day! :shock: Anything's better than that! -Adam

This is my thinking, it's either diet or regular and I tend to think that diet is the lesser of 2 evils based on the fact that regular drinks now (besides the throwback drinks) are sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup. I have been away from HFCS for so long that if I take 1 swallow of a regular drink it will give me a stomach ache for about an hour. I also now have to avoid ketchup and apple sauce sweetened with HFCS.

And no, I will not regularly drink water.

I wonder if caffeine dilates your capilaries though? It may not give you energy, but I would think physically it still has the same affect. I think it's called a vaso-dilator or something like that.

whatever.. my coroner buddy says he can tell nutra-sweet users as soon as he cracks their skull open, says it smells just like formaldehyde.. :shock:

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
I wonder if caffeine dilates your capilaries though? It may not give you energy, but I would think physically it still has the same affect. I think it's called a vaso-dilator or something like that.

I'll admit, I only deeply skimmed the wiki page on caffeine, but I didn't see anything about it being a vaso-dilator, it is a very interesting read and actually supports my claims about ADHD and the calming effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

sorry, I used the wrong term, caffeine is vaso-constrictor, not a vaso-dilator.

scrumblero said:
whatever.. my coroner buddy says he can tell nutra-sweet users as soon as he cracks their skull open, says it smells just like formaldehyde.. :shock:

Good thing I'm being cremated.

Latest posts

Back