My $8 rust-oleum Patina

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I really like a nice patina, but I can't stand to have rust on my cars. So I went to Lowe's hardware store and bought two shades of brown; A dark brown and a reddish brown and some flat black. It was kind-of just to see if I could do it. I don't really have a before and after, but I do have the two sides of the car.

I thought some of you might get a kick out of my fake rust. I just had to use the can that actually says "stops rust" to do it. Now I am just trying to decide if I should attack the rest of the car with it or leave it like it is.

I would like to have some votes for stupid or cool.

SubaruSwap005-1.jpg

SubaruSwap006-1.jpg

SubaruSwap007-1.jpg

SubaruSwap008-1.jpg

okay here's my vote......fake rust is about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. However i will admit that your fake rust is about the most awesome I've ever seen. So there you go, thumbs up AND down :p

Excellent...

Well, Boneshaker, thanks, I guess... :D I looked on streetrodderweb a little, and haven't found anything yet on the how to, but I did find this cool picture that kind-of makes me want to go all out.

http://images.streetrodderweb.com/event ... build+.jpg

All I did was lay down some dark brown, overlaid it around the edges with a reddish brown, misted the center parts for that deep rust with a little flat black, and then sanded everything with 400 grit in a swiriling motion to get rid of the shine and blend it in nicely.

That's really cool looking. Here's a 37 Ford 3-window ("phantom" body style) that has a fiberglass body, that has been Patina'd in a similar fashion.

hrdp_0704_rat_01_z+1937_ford_rat_rod+patina+side_view.jpg

I'm not that fearful of rust. If you had a vehicle with surface rust that looked like that you could scuff it up with scotchbrite and put an acrylic clearcoat over it to keep it from getting worse. That bug is really nice, and pre-67 is getting harder and more expensive to find, so I can understand wanting to keep one rust-free, especially if it already is.

oh man that is so sic. luv that car, pull the fenders off an let those tires get some air. go find the threat on gasser's an there is a pic of a black bug with no fenders, very kool.

Outlaw 8)

I have seen some really cool fenderless bugs, but I really like the old style fenders too. I have since redone the pinstriping on the fenders. Other than goofing off with fake rust, my main goal is to just get it running again. It was a blast with 58 horses at the rear wheels as seen in the video, But the subaru motor I'm putting in should be a lot more fun with more like 70 or 80 at the wheels.
bug1.jpg

Subaru engine? WHY, or why? Water cooled? Sacreledge! What about a Type IV, that should be good for 80 hp easily. I had a 66 Beetle with a balanced and blueprinted 1600 dual-port with just one 34 carb and it would smoke the tires and top out about 100 mph.

Obviously do what you want, but Subaru? Yuck!

I had a lot of fun with my slightly modified 1600 dp. I had it over 105mph and I would smoke V-8s all the time. When I started spraying oil out the exhaust, I knew I had to put a new engine in, or rebuild what I had. I looked at bigger vw engines, electric engines, mazda rotary and subaru engines. The electric was too expensive to get the performance I wanted. The mazda engines sound like a chainsaw and get bad gas mileage. A 1915cc VW engine and the subaru will have about the same HP and cost about the same. The subaru will have more torque. It should get well over 30 mpg in my car and will require a lot less maintenance than a VW. It is not 100% sacrelege. I picked this particular subaru engine because of it's simplicity and it is strongly based on the original VW engine. To keep it as VW as I can, I am using VW parts where ever I can. I am custom making a lot of the parts and adapters needed. I knew it might upset some people, but I can always put a VW engine back in later.

IMG_1107.jpg

Yeah, I know it's basically a wasserboxer. I guess that's it, VW to me means air-cooled. Or maybe it's those self-involved progessives in their white Outbacks cutting me off on my bike, I just hate Subarus.

I appreciate the fact that you are thinking outside the box and doing some handmade stuff, that's really the essence of hot rodding anyways.

Latest posts

Back