My Bridgestone Motorcycle!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classic Garage (Barn) find, have known about this baby for a bit and things fell my way and she became mine about a year ago,
a Bridgestone 175cc two stroke. (Yep you read correct) Bridgestone of tyre fame had a stint making motor bikes in the late sixties
and early seventies. They had quite a unique set up having a mechanical rotary fuel pump, very fast to the extent that the other
japanese bike manufactures put pressure on Bridgestone telling them if they didn't stop making the bikes they would stop buying
the tyres, yep corporate bulling in the seventies, Bridgestone gave in and their bikes ceased to exist!

How she was when I picked her up.
p4281589.jpg
p5031592.jpg

p5031598.jpg
p5031593.jpg

The original plan was to clean her up put her back together and one day when funds and time allow have a crack at getting her running.
Where I am lucky to live the speed limit is 25klms and we have around 9klms of road with few hills so I was thinking about electrifying her.
After searching the net I found a guy quite close by, Jon Eggenhuizen has a company called Catavolt in Newcastle on the east coast, he
made me up a suitable 12 volt set up and with not to much fiddling she is in a running. Of course quite and no exhaust fumes!

pc107660.jpg
pc107662.jpg

pc127775.jpg
pc107667.jpg

pc107672.jpg
pc107673.jpg

pc127773.jpg
pc127774.jpg

Now she is no speed demon but does not have to be 25klm speed limit, for the purest worried about damaging the jem I managed to use
the original engine mounts for the engine and battery holder. Original chain too, she had 12 volt lights and horn, no indicators will go for
rego inspection next week.

I've been reading about Bridgestone motorcycles for years. Peter Egan had of Road&Track had one. I gave up hoping I'd find one someday.

Pretty cool, Are you going to rebuild the original engine and put it back original in time or leave it electric?

outskirtscustoms said:
Pretty cool, Are you going to rebuild the original engine and put it back original in time or leave it electric?

Yep have put the engine into storage will keep her as electric, something different, classic and original.

No direct drive from the electric motor via the original chain back to the rear sprocket.
One speed, quite slow but where I live the speed limit is 25kph (15 mph) so top end not an issue,
the system can handle 24 volts being a bit of a rev head I will try this out down the track!

Here is a pic with the battery, the electric motor without the chain fitted and the speed controller,
in the second pic front sprocket with the chain on.

pc107664.jpg
pc127777.jpg

I thought about making an electric motorcycle years ago, but running the motor through the gear box for more speed and less draw at speed.

To bad your on the other side of the pond I'd love to get my hands on something like that but shipping would be a nightmare

YOU LUCKY DOG! I've been looking everywhere for project bike in my area. That is one killer scoot. How's she ride?

Latest posts

Back