My Dad's Rat Bike (Sort of)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACD

Reaction score
This is an old picture.. the rail rider was stolen, painted in a camo pattern, and then it was recovered. In it's current state it is useable but needs tinkering. The Rail Rider is a commercially available "quad bike" and is quite expensive. Dad bought this one used for $400. Notice the duct tape lining the wheels for "smooth" ride. It has seating for two riders each of whom can contibute independently. Each rider has a 3-spd hub to play with. The rail rider can go really fast...far faster than is safe on these old abandoned tracks. It weighs 140 pounds and one person "with practice" can turn it around. It is a very easy machine to ride. My dad's camp is located on a stretch of abandoned tracks that go for at least 80 miles.

My dad standing and my 6 and 8 year old sons (then 4 and 6).

(Steve feel free to move this thread if in the wrong section)

RR.jpg

Aaron

adc i thought that was you. you old scootdawg you. good to see you here.

that is a cool "flat track racer"!! ???

well good to see ya.

Well as stated these are "abandoned" tracks. No problem with trains. The state does ask that you call when you want to use the rails as sometimes "Put Put" clubs (old track service cars) or maintainence crews with pickups on Hi-rail set ups.... you've seen em trucks with railroad wheels that tuck up underneath are using tracks. Other than that you're good. Stay away from active tracks guys .... bad news. If you are ever attacked by a train move at least 10 ft left or right immediately...LOL

Upper Class White Trash said:
adc i thought that was you. you old scootdawg you. good to see you here.

that is a cool "flat track racer"!! ???

well good to see ya.

Yup it's me... great minds join the same forums.

The smiles on those kids fraces tell the whole story. :p

acd thats cool. Theres abandon tracks by my uncles house that run for everrrr! I ride my bike along side of them.

Feel free to use it. Next time I'm out to the camp I'll shoot some pics of it in it's camo paint glory.

ricksterr1221 said:
acd thats cool. Theres abandon tracks by my uncles house that run for everrrr! I ride my bike along side of them.
There's an abandoned tram track in downtown LA that I saw when I went down there, it's at like a 45 degree angle, I thought that it would be a blast to go down on a rail bike, until you hit the bottom....

Back