My first CL scam

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought and sold more than a few bikes using CL to advertise them without incident.

Always seen those admonishments about scams, but never received one.

Well, today I advertised a kids bike and got one reply by email, I replied, and they sent back a sob story about getting their jeep dented up and can't afford a bike. but, wait, they are on to a work at home deal sending out stuff online..... uhh yeah buddie, of course I'm in................

be careful out there! :shock:

Same thing here, but it was a mini van that got hit and then you can make $600 a day at home.

Every bike that gets put up on C/L. gets a scam hit.

I like the ones that ask if I "still have item" when I put an add in the wanted section. They can pick it up today....

EVERY response starts with "do you still have the bike?" - a natural question, I suppose.

No problem, I just say yes, and when do you want to come and pick it up?

thanks Peatbog, good advice.

I have a gmail account that I set up and ONLY use for CL.

I'm not seeing any spam in it that didn't come directly from a CL listing.

Just lucky I guess.

The same one hit me up again, same routine,
she doesn't even keep track of who she has already hit up. :D :D :D

That is the first one I just got the other day too, I got the email for my 24 Girls Rollfast which I figured it was a scam because I told them to call the number in the ad but they emailed anyway.

jerry I keep getting the ones that say I sound hot from my listing and they want to get to know me better. I had to ask my wife to proof read all my ads now. I don't want to send confusing signals to anyone. :roll: I only got one of the I will pay extra if you will let my assistant pick it up since I am out of the country. C-list really ticks me off sometimes

Yeah with a free to post site you got to expect a few idiots and spamers. I just say when they reply If you'd like the bike it's a CASH in person sale only. No cash no bike.

outskirtscustoms said:
Yeah with a free to post site you got to expect a few idiots and spamers. I just say when they reply If you'd like the bike it's a CASH in person sale only. No cash no bike.

Yeah when I get a response I am very specific CASH ONLY,and I will only meet at a neutral location. I tend to get more idiots with e-bay though, people asking questions that are answered in the title, that sort of thing. With C-list I get the scammers which when they are entertaining is great. When they start to keep sending the same thing is when I get a little peeved. I just got this one today:
I can't believe in people anymore I just tried to purchase the exact same you've listed from some other doode and got totaly ripped off few days ago. I hope you're real because I want to pick it up from you asap I got cash prepared. I don't give out my phone # to random folks so if you REALLY got the item and you are who you say you are then get hold of my phone # on my adult facebook profile and text me your address and final price (can you give me some reduced cost?) There's no cost to signup so I'll know you are local and legit my profile will come up first thing once you log in. Im ready to go pick it up as soon as this evening! Sorry for being paranoid just don't want to get scammed again. Money is money you know. I don't check my email often so just text me. Thanks!

A scammer getting scammed? And funny I haven't seen a Felt cruiser on C-list in a while? :lol:

Yeah I've had some funny ones and some weird ones myself. Everything from the normal spammers asking if the "item" is still for sale, to the out there ones asking if I'd like to trade it for "Personal favors from a man", to the sob stories of someone is sick and dieing and needs the bike donated to them. Some are hilarious others just disturbing. :roll:

Peatbog said:
The "do you still have this..." thing is a scam. When you reply, the sender now has a valid email address they sell to spammers.

Do not reply to those. I put in my ads, "If the item is still listed, I still have it. Due to spammers, I will not reply to emails asking if I still have it. Put a telephone number in your email reply or I will not respond."

This is a valid question, I ask it almost every time I respond to an ad. and usually the item is already sold. Yes even ads that state if its "still up" then the item is still for sale. I have seen sellers say they wont respond to emails at all because of this.... I just dont get it.

When I post an item for sale on CL, I always state that emails are just fine. Do I get scam emails? once in awhile, but not very often. Its pretty easy to figure out which ones are actual scammers and which ones are real buyers. Ive had the same email address for almost 10 years, do I get spam? a few yes... maybe 20 a day but who cares, easy to delete.

I would rather use email than give out my cell number, and certainly not gonna give out my home number. Do you really want some craigslist freak calling you at all times of the day or night?

I think what everyone is saying is that YOU have to maintain control of the situation.

It does not matter what the responder says, YOU still have to be in control of what actually happens.

If the guy is crazy, or out there, you don't owe him anything, ignore and delete, or a simple "No Thanks!"

Exactly, But as a buyer it is frustrating dealing with a seller that wont do emails.

All Im saying is people just need to quit being paranoid about emails like they are some kind of voodoo and will hose up their computer with mega-viruses. Its all common sense people.

Ha Ha :lol: :roll: , some never give up :lol: :roll: .

Hi,

Just thought you'd want to know that my sister decided to try a different work
from home program cause she didnt wanna pay the $100… she just didnt have the
money and would not even borrow it from me (she can be kinda stubborn haha).

But the company she's doing actually seems really good cause shes already earned
money. Plus it's free to get in:

(I took out that stupid email that was in this spot)

She started yesterday and already earned $60 so i know it works.

Hope its OK that i emailed you, i just know many people are looking for extra
income nowadays and programs like this have worked for me.

Claire

I actually have a really funny story about Craigslist. A few years ago right before Halloween I posted an add as a joke selling a 5 gallon bucket of my dog's "business".....Yes dog poo. I had three e-mails to buy it for $20, one was a scam, one was rather harassing and hit the spam box, the other guy drove all the way from Bloomington, Indiana to Kokomo to pay me $20 for a 5 gallon bucket of said dog poo. :roll: So think twice next time someone tells you it's not worth poo :lol:

Goes to show you what kind of people troll Craigslist. :roll:

I'm going to have to try that, I wonder what the going rate for fish poo is?

Latest posts

Back