My first hub dissection...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Well, I've officially entered the last unexplored region of my 1967 Schwinn Typhoon...the red band Bendix coaster hub. :shock:

I'm planning to swap out the 18 tooth cog for a 20 tooth cog. As expected, I started pulling stuff apart until I ended up with a rather large pile of unidentifiable parts. :oops:

Everything inside the hub was thickly coated with what appeared to be wheel bearing grease...probably something for bikes though. Currently everything is soaking in a large stainless bowl full of Simple Green. :mrgreen:

A couple of questions...

1. What's the best grease for this hub?
2. How the heck am I going to get that retaining ring back on the hub?

Something makes me think I'm gonna have to buy a tool.

I'll post pics if I get so inspired.

Thanks!

It's easy. Any grease will work. Clean out the old grease, don't go crazy, you're only gonna grease it up again. You've probably opened it from the brake arm side. Stick the axle through the cog & boss(pretend it's on) with some fresh grease. Stick that assembly through the hub, slide the expander over the axle on the other end. it loosely threads on the cog boss. The expander is that little unit that's circlipped together.

Greasing everything as we move along.

Now there's 2 metal bricks, those are the brake shoe keys, slide those into the slots on either side of the expander. Brake shoes next, doesn't matter which way. Now thread on the other expander, tight, back off 1/8 or 1/4 turn, brake arm, lock nut, golden.

Now on the cog, I haven't messed with any on the bendix, but it should be do-able with a couple of screwdrivers and some patience.

Larry said:
Now on the cog, I haven't messed with any on the bendix, but it should be do-able with a couple of screwdrivers and some patience.
+1 on that...or an ice-pick (careful!) and a screwdriver...or a curvrd pick (for o-rings...again, careful!)...if it (the ring) comes off (or goes back on) too easy it needs to be replaced...but i've only found one i've ever had to replace.

Back