my first road bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was an impulse buy from my vacation to Santa Monica. It's actually being built right now and I should recieve it next week. It's a Dolan frame and fork (handmade by terrydolan company in the UK) and it will look exactly like this bike except white track bars and no front brake (fixed gear) I've never owned a road/track bike and have never even rode a fixie so this will be a new adventure for me. I've finally realized that I'm fat and this baby will get me back in shape :roll:
dolan.jpg

Re: my first road bike : suicide machine

front brakes on a fast road bike are a MUST HAVE!!!

when you're going 25mph your back brake won't cut it.

I'm familiar riding brakeless, rode bmx brakeless for a while and have a stingray with no brakes. It's just the fixed gear that will take time to get used to.

if its an fxe frame it will have brake bosses front and rear if you decide you need em :) im sure youll know what you need, fast lookin bike !!!

Yeah, it has both brake bosses so I could always put a freewheel on one side of the hub and run with brakes. I just like the clean lines of a brakeless fixie.

Finally got it today, still waiting on my white velodroma bars but it's still fun with the straight bars. I've definitely got a lot to learn about fixies, this bike is weird to me right now.
bikes-18.jpg

I chose to go fixie for the work out, I'm way out of shape and you have no choice but to keep pedaling. Greg, I'll trade you for some torringtons if they're connected to an Elgin bluebird or blackhawk :wink:

Question about stopping.

After watching a bunch of videos on YouTube with people skidding and pedaling backwards...is there a way to make a quick stop on a fixie?

Looks like they are able to stop the pedaling fairly easily, but the bikes keep going.

I'd kill myself for sure on one of those...ha ha. :lol:

I've just got bmx platform pedals on it and there's no way to stop imediately without slipping the pedals. I think if I was running clips i could use my legs more efficiently to stop quicker. I'm no fan of clips though, I might put the front brake on until I get a little more experianced.

Hey...where do you buy your lottery tickets at? :lol:

Just kiddin' ya man...that's a sweeet machine!

Never posted a pic with track bars, so here it is. I have a 17t fixed gear on one side of the hub, and a 17t freewheel on the other. One for the track, and one for lazy coasting. A buddy at my LBS is an avid velodrome racer, so next spring he said he'd show me the ropes over at the major taylor velodrome in indy. Should be fun. Frame is a Dolan.
bikes091-2.jpg

Rat Rod said:
Question about stopping.

After watching a bunch of videos on YouTube with people skidding and pedaling backwards...is there a way to make a quick stop on a fixie?

Looks like they are able to stop the pedaling fairly easily, but the bikes keep going.

I'd kill myself for sure on one of those...ha ha. :lol:

It's actually pretty difficult to stop the pedaling of a fixed gear bike at good speed and no brakes. Whenever I ride fixed I always make sure I have at least a front brake to stop with.

As for making a quick stop on a fixie with no brakes, alot of guys put the bike into a power slide by skidding the back tire and pulling the bike around to the side. Just like we all did on our old BMX bikes when we were younger.

Necessaryevil, I HIGHLY recommend you get a front brake and some clips for those pedals.

I'm gonna go with bmx clips and shoes, can't stand those dorky road shoes. I have the front brakes if I need them, I'll use them when I cruise the local park with the freewheel.

Back