My freshest find of the year...a NOS EA Pancake Horn!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have been "picking" an old bike shop the last few weekends, and stopped by today for one last visit before the end of the year. Found the horn tucked away on a shelf in a back office. The horn is NOS and SEALED in the original box. I was blown away when I asked the shop owner if he would sell it and he said "sure".

So...should I open the box?

77c36ed86116a0002bd3e31230d055fb784cb723_r.jpg

160262e692af62bcee138a56263cba95d8e71767_r.jpg

1a616563a322ee3e528c9390bf7eb1977786d274_r.jpg

ec8269d64ba3527cef639f5cf7f0fcdefd6ad70b_r.jpg

af73682d606dae512603efd63b855d5db7071b38_r.jpg

I know about them...

Used on Pre-War bikes, and early motorcycles too, although the size for motorcycles was different for these horns. Siess and Delta made similar horns, they are all called "pancake" horns because of the shape.

The EA horns sometimes come up for sale, but seldom have the horn button with them. The cool thing is that this one has the buttom and cloth wire with it int he box, so it is the whole set. I am assuming the mounting bracket is in there too, but it doesn't say on the box.

I REALLY want to open it, but I know I can't. I have to keep that box closed :wink:

Re: I know about them...

rfeagleye said:
Used on Pre-War bikes, and early motorcycles too, although the size for motorcycles was different for these horns. Siess and Delta made similar horns, they are all called "pancake" horns because of the shape.

The EA horns sometimes come up for sale, but seldom have the horn button with them. The cool thing is that this one has the buttom and cloth wire with it int he box, so it is the whole set. I am assuming the mounting bracket is in there too, but it doesn't say on the box.

I REALLY want to open it, but I know I can't. I have to keep that box closed :wink:

Cant open it? Why not?Did you buy it for fun or posterity? Your toy but I'd open and enjoy it for what it was intended.Nobody will give you big money without seeing it anyway,I sure wouldnt.

I look at is as a piece of history...

I can't bring myself to open it, it has lasted all these years unopened, I think I should leave it as is.

Re: I look at is as a piece of history...

rfeagleye said:
I can't bring myself to open it, it has lasted all these years unopened, I think I should leave it as is.

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. One inside a box that hasn't seen the light of day in eighty years is worth more to the discriminating collector than a nice restored one. Notice I'm not trying to tell what to do with it, I'm just giving the heads-up on what you may or may not know. Nice find. :wink:

The value is having the original box , not sure how much added value there is to having it sealed , you have more willpower than I do , I would have opened it right away ....... good luck whatever you decide

Yes, I know what you're saying RS...

I am a muscle bike collector, but I knew when I saw it that is was a once in a lifetime piece. I am going to hang on to it for a bit, but some balloon tire guy will get it eventually :wink:

Latest posts

Back