My Girlfriends Bike (found at last)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My girlfriend and I had been discussing over the past couple of months about what she would like in a bike. After surfing over the Rat Rod Bike pages she made these conditions... 1. 24-26 inch wheels, 2. men's frame, 3. Tank on the frame, 4. Rear luggage rack. So, with all of that info I started looking within 100 miles of where I live on Evil-Bay. Earlier this week I started searching and picked out about 3 bikes that fit the criteria she wanted. After inspecting pictures I eliminated 2 of them and hit the bid button on the remaining one. I was the only one to bid on the bike so I got it. Went and picked it up this afternoon. It needs some work but it is a complete bike. Tires and tubes are toast. Needs new spokes, and another seat. Then it will be up to her on how it looks aesthetically.
After some research I do know obviously it is a Sears middle weight bike. Then it starts to get foggy after that. I am assuming it is a 1960. I also read that both J.C. Higgins and Murray made bikes for Sears. The rear hub is a Komet Super. There is not much more information than that. Maybe I haven't stumbled on to the proper source for that info.
Maybe someone here has some idea.
1221141630.jpg

1221141631.jpg

1221141843.jpg

SER# 502 462010 198516

Last edited:
That's a Murray made frame for sure, made in Ohio. They made bikes for Sears and the earlier Sears badged J.C. Higgins.

I'd say it's mid to late 50's by the seat. Everything looks original, except the tires. Is that a 1958 license sticker on the seat tube? Someone here may be able to give the year by the serial number, or at least find the bike by the catalog number.

The bike looks like it wasn't used much because nothing looks worn out, even the paint and graphics aren't bad. There might be a couple of D cell batteries in the tank that have corroded, hopefully not.

That's a Murray made frame for sure, made in Ohio. They made bikes for Sears and the earlier Sears badged J.C. Higgins.

I'd say it's mid to late 50's by the seat. Everything looks original, except the tires. Is that a 1958 license sticker on the seat tube? Someone here may be able to give the year by the serial number, or at least find the bike by the catalog number.

The bike looks like it wasn't used much because nothing looks worn out, even the paint and graphics aren't bad. There might be a couple of D cell batteries in the tank that have corroded, hopefully not.
Ok, Thanks. The registration sticker Issued by: Delran, NJ Police Department, registration #1950 and expires August 1975.
1221142248.jpg

I have an all chrome version of this. Yours is much nicer! I'm thinking that it might be s Spaceliner but I think it might say that on the chain guard. I like the looks of it. It is so late 1950's early 1960's. But in all it is a winner! No matter what the experts have to say from this site it's a good one and very handsome!

502 I believe says it's a bike made for Sears. Murray would be the maker of it.
46210 I think is the catalog number. I could be wrong on this the experts will correct me on this if I am
198516 is the serial number

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back