(MY) HOODLUM FRIEND ( take II )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB056DB8-9521-498D-B984-49C9323D04FA.jpeg

Gret looking tires and wheelset for that frame!

I discovered something interesting about old vs. new headsets: old steering tubes are bigger, so, so are older bearing cups, BUT, the bearing cages of the newer headsets are bigger, and will not fit inside older bearing cups.
0F55EA64-FAC6-4CFE-A7D7-AACBB5F97553.jpeg

8C4BFCCE-C147-43BE-94DC-030830BF72EE.jpeg
Since the newer headset cups are too “loosy-goosy” and leaves too much play in the steering tube, I really wanted to clean up and use the original headset, but the bearings were not salvageable. So I’m using the new headset and using my use-to-be secret weapon to make the snug.
AA866243-3D15-4D7F-A474-130EB85496E8.jpeg
EAD34675-403D-4760-AFFE-11C4F75CDCB9.jpeg
D2FCA01F-6877-4EB5-B1A4-18DCF4C4BB1F.jpeg

Some of the size difference may be old vs new but also different brands are different sizes too. Even those of us who can't maintain a boneyard full of bikes can maintain a few coffee cans of bearing sets from every scrapped, every trashed every alley find bike you come across. I have saved many builds mixing and matching bearing sets.

GC.

Last edited:
Some of the size difference may be old vs new but also different brands are different sizes too. Even those of us who can't maintain a boneyard full of bikes can maintain a few coffee cans of bearing sets from every scrapped, every trashed every alley find bike you come across. I have saved many builds mixing and matching bearing sets.

GC.
I do have a few older bearing sets that I will try. Thanks Carl.

This^

When I don't have a proper caged set, it gets freeballed with the proper sized bearings which I save religously like the caged sets.

Latest posts

Back