My Narrow Fire Arrow - 1957

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I acquired a primered frame and a handful of original parts off a 1957 Columbia FireArrow. I was finally able to get it finished today after sacrificing a few thrift store Schwinns for their easily recognizeable parts. This thing is super quick and a blast to ride!
NarrowFireArrow003_zpsf2db22a4.jpg

I really like the way the fenders are peaked. They remind me of a fireman's helmet for some reason!
NarrowFireArrow004_zps0ce7c252.jpg

Originally a middle-weight bike I went a little bit more narrow on the rubber by putting on some creme Schwalbe Delta Cruisers in 26 X 1 3/8".
NarrowFireArrow018_zpsac8eb360.jpg

My kiddo wanted me to murder this bike out since the frame was already primered black when we got it but some of the parts were so clean that I decided to keep a few pieces shiney like the gooseneck, crank, and hubs.
NarrowFireArrow014_zpsdda6bee3.jpg

NarrowFireArrow005_zpse3a02582.jpg

This came originally as a 2 speed with a hand lever shifter. I settled for the 3 speed Sturmey Archer coaster brake hub I got out of a $20 thrift store Schwinn! It looks like new - stamped 1981.
RearHubUpclose_zps3e6a514c.jpg

Right side:
NarrowFireArrow003_zpsf2db22a4.jpg

Left Side:
NarrowFireArrow012_zps8dfd9092.jpg

The End:
NarrowFireArrow023_zpsbae96ca1.jpg

Thanks for letting me show it off!

Man, that truly came out beautifully!!!!
BRAVO!!!!!!!

yoothgeye said:
Glad you didn't "murder it out."
:lol: Yooth, I was hoping you'd notice my usage of that term!

Kingfish & LgK9, I appreciate the comments. This just happened to be one of those bikes that fought me all along the way and took me a whole lot longer to finish than I would ever have thought. Now I'm ready to start something new!

Sweet ride man! I like that you made the best of your already primered frame and put the simple, original white details on the dropouts and forks. It really makes for a sweet blend of rat and OEM.

I just want to add a thanks for the compliments from you guys. I really appreciate it. I'm probably way too obsessive about stuff that never gets seen and I catch grief about it at home so to gain a positive comment means a lot! Yeah, I'm one of the forum brethren who shines the wedge at the end of the stem bolt that only gets hidden down inside the steer tube and stuff like that! I can't help it! I guess what I'm saying is, like so many of us, we spend hours upon hours shining ball bearings and breaking stuff down to the nth degree and then try to post just a few pics and then wait to see what gets said about it. An "attaboy" here or there from my peers and also from those who do remarkable work makes a difference! Man, as I write this I'm starting to realize I must not have been loved as a child! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back