My neighbor's bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor across the street watched me working on bikes in my garage so one day last summer he walked over and told me that he had some old bikes in his attic that he needed to get down and see if they were worth anything - or just give to me.

So last weekend while the weather was cool he got his son to help him and they got the bikes down.

Today he came over and asked me if I could store them at my place (I have a large extra garage) and either see if they could be fixed up and maybe sold, or toss them.

So we rolled the 4 of them over to my place and now I need to figure out what to do about them.

Here's some shots of the bikes.

This one is a standard fare Murray 10 speed probably from the 80's.

IMG_1933.jpg

This one is a full fendered Murray ladies bike with a Shimano 333 rear end on it. Old style shifter. It has an interesting old speedometer - manual one with a cable to the front wheel.

IMG_1935.jpg

This one is a 20" girls bike - Sky Queen on the chainguard - maybe because of the ape hangers on it.

The neck on it has a head badge sticker saying "Wilson's"

IMG_1936.jpg

The last one was his son's mountain bike. Kind of interesting. All chrome frame with no marking or stickers on it to tell what brand it was. Lots of gold anodized stuff on it - rims, chainguard, rear wheel guard, and brakes. It also has a manual speedometer on it - only a square one instead of a round one.

So I'm not sure what kind of bike this one is. Maybe someone out there will know for sure. It does have a serial number stamped on the neck - E plus some numbers, if that helps.

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

Yeah, it reminded me a lot of the chrome Diamondback BMX bike that Steve ran across a while back.

Too bad it didn't have a diamond shaped opening in that front frame brace! :D

The other nice thing is that it's probably in the best shape of all 4 of the bikes. The chrome on the frame is pretty much rust free.

I'm wondering if that's true anodized aluminum or just that gold paint that's meant to look like it.

Real anodized stuff should look like this:

nx65BpSxjWEpTmL3v62CEA278883

Okay, now you are getting technical on me. :lol: :lol: Could be paint - could be anodized.

I guess if the parts are steel then it would be some type of paint or coating since you can't anodize steel.

SJ, thanks for the info and the link. It was really interesting to see the ad. Not too crazy about the red tires, though. :lol: :lol:

Looks like they were a Murray family.

I'm not sure who made the Sky Queen, but probably Murray too. :D

Back