my new long bike project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i rescued two almost identical 20" girls bike frames to use in the construction of my first long bike. the seat tube of the front frame is the same outside diameter as the steer tube on the fork i removed from the rear frame, so im gonna attach the frames there, and fabricate brackets to attach the front frame to the rear frame vie the rear drop outs on the front frame and the bottom bracket of the rear frame.

questions,is this a good way to do it or should i re-install the fork to the rear frame and bolt the rear frame's forks to the rear drop outs of the front frame? this would make the bike reeeeaallly long, and it would have a pitot point at this connections, is that ok? when running the chain should i install something to help keep chain tension along that length, or maybe leave the cranks on both the front and back frame to use as a guide for the chain?

any help would be appreciated, ive never built one these before

fast eddie outty

not a tandem, more like a really ugle recumbent! i plan on my seat being on the rear frame and pedaling it on the from the front frame, thats why im trying to attach the frames together as rigid as i can instead of having a pivot point by attaching them front fork to rear dropout. if i can get it working, who knows, maybe ill paint it so it aint so ugly! then again if its too pretty i wont really wanna ride it so much.

fast eddie outty

100_1184.jpg

this is the homemade (prisonmade!!) tandem I got recently. They slid the fork tube over the seat post and welded it. Once I got it rideable I tried sitting on the back, steering from the front, and couldnt reach the front crank...could be modified though I guess...[/img]

Latest posts

Back