My new......Well I would NOT call it a toy!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just got this bad boy in, It's not as old as I'd like, it's a 1970's re-pop of an 1800's gun but it is functional and I like it well enough. Anywho I helped a buddy clean out his garage and he gave me this in return. It's a 1970's re-pop Philadelphia Derringer. 45 cal Black powder pistol. No sights, nothing fancy just a good ol' across the card table type of thing. I've still got to get it cleaned and oiled and maybe take her to the shooting range and pop a few rounds through it just for good measure. Should have a nice kick to it.

Does anyone have any info on black powder guns? I used to load my own shotgun shells, and have had several cartridge style guns so I have knowledge about guns in general, but this is my first black powder. Anything I need to do different or is it basically just a keep it clean and dry type of thing?

PA020090.jpg

P9300010.jpg

and the buissness end
PA020092.jpg

scrumblero said:
A nice kick?? :roll:

cool replica tho, looks like it never quite got finished..

I'm eventually going to tear it apart and stain it, clean it up, and re-assemble. Make it look finished. It does work the way it is. As for a nice kick to it, It's a large bore. Large bore = big bang = nice kick..... must be a bit of Indiana slang. I like a gun with a bit of kick to it, lets you know it's more than a BB gun. My 22 cal has no kick to it at all... :roll:

Clean with soap and HOT water (they do have dedicated stuff, but dish soap works) pump it through back and forth with a patch on a jag, then dry it with more patches and oil it in the normal manner-ASAP after shooting.

It's also common practice to snap a cap before loading to be sure it's clear and dry. I'm going to guess 15-20 grains of FFFg of the real stuff is plenty of juice for that straw. Seat the bullet against the powder but don't crush it. Since it's a cap gun instead of flint, you can use the cleaner "replica" powder, check the label for load equivalent. Enjoy! 8)

Thanks Deorman, I talked to the gun shop and they said they'd clean and oil it up for $10 (frequent customer) so I think I'm gonna go that route for now and when I pick it up I can take it to the shooting range they have there and see if I can hit anything..... :lol: . Then of coarse oil it and put it away next to all the others.

Latest posts

Back