my next re-build, stingray mini twin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a good friend of mine asked me to rebuild this for him, ive never seen one like it. i dont know as much about bikes as most of y'all here so this is really cool to me, ive only seen a few 20" tandems and this is the only stingray tandem ive ever seen, heck ive never even heard of such a thing. he wants me to rebuild it so he can give it to his grandkids. im gonne keep it all original if i can, just not sure what to do about the torn seats. it's got a slick on the back, weinmann brakes on the front, coaster brake rear wheel, the old schwinn pedals, sparkle grips and seats, and it uses two different chains. ill be putting the new can of barkeepers frien to the test! ill bet i could air up the tires and ride right now. he said he bought it in the 60's or 70's from a shop here in kansas city that is still open in fact. any info anyone could give me that i could pass on to him would be appreciated. he's in his 70's and doesnt know much about it except that its been in his basement since the last time his sons rode it when they were kids.
fast eddie outty
stingrayminitwin23.jpg

stingrayminitwin13.jpg

That has to be one of the coolest bikes ever! I've never seen a Stingray tandem before. Wow! Something else I need to own before I die... Thanks...

Wow!..Never seen that before. Don't know anything about tandems, but how does the drive train work. Is the person in the front pedalling more then the back person? (different size chain rings) Cool bike, he picked the right person to restore it! 8)

back in 99 i found one of those in super nice shape at goodwill
I had no clue what to do with it so I tried ebay and it brought $1200
thats a fairly rare bike it was only built one year. its a pretty desirable bike I would do nothing but clean it up :)

shine it up to ride, but dont do much more than that !! hard to find those guards too that arent beat up or screen is ate up. other than replacing the seats, i wouldnt do a thing to it !! :D

ive got alot of work done so far, there are alot of pits in some of the chrome peices, but it doesnt look too bad. the front handlebars, headseat, stem, fork, wheel/hub is all done, the rear handlebars and stem are done, lots of nuts and bolts are cleaned up, seat posts and clamps are done, sissy bar is done, grips are clean, brake assembley and hand lever is done, the rear fender is almost done too. this thing is filthy!! ive found some dents here and there but everything is original and re-usable. i did not disassemble the front wheel, i only took apart the hub and rebuilt it but i spent almost 2 hours cleaning the rim/nipples/spokes and disassembleing/cleaning/rebuilding the hub. the spokes are a larger diameter on the end closes to the nipple than they are at the hub flange. the rear inner tube is wrapped in another tube - i think. it looks like someone cut an old tube lengthwise and put an new tube inside it, am i right? even the tubes have "schwinn" on them, as does most of the bolts etc.. the rear wheel is a Bendix 2 speed kickback w/ coaster brake - niiice! im gonna give to rick at peddlers for a full rebuild, still has the original slick on it too! ive done a lousy job of photographing this build but ill have a few to post when it's done,
someone mentioned "pete" for re-covering the seats, can someone give me an email or something for him?
fast eddie outty

Hey fast eddie , jon here. your friend "does" have a rare bike. as far as the seats keep hold of the pans and have redone. the front seat are very hard to find! if you want a close up reference theres a guy in lawrence kansas that has 2 of them!! if your interested we can go visit him and take a look at his bikes and collection.. let me know if interested.

Latest posts

Back