My other vehicle is a locomotive: redux!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been YEARS since I last posted so I thought it might be appropriate to make a quick post here to remind you all who I am.

I am a professional museum exhibit fabricator living in the San Francisco Bay Area. I joined this site 2008 after purchasing an Electra Rockabilly Boogie. Shortly after that I began a full tear down and repaint/rebuild of a 26" Schwinn Panther. My first love is for steam powered engines. By far the live steam hobby commands most of my spare time. First and foremost I am a railroad man-- the steam and iron is in my blood for sure. Because of that, these two bikes have been in my stable for the past four years. The Electra R.B. has been my daily use bike. The Schwinn has been more or less in storage with only occasional use. all the rest of my time and garage space is devoted to my railroad equipment.
IMG_2224.jpg

This locomotive has been my obsession for the past year and a half. It is a 1:8 scale model of an 8 ton 0-4-0. Because of the complexity of this project I have had zero bandwidth to take on any bicycle projects. Until now...

As much as I loved these bikes I have been lusting after a Felt MP for years. The Electra is great but if I had done more research in the first place I probably would have chosen the MP instead. I don't have the space for three bikes and my wife and I are homeowners now so money is always a factor. I have had a few false starts trying to sell the Electra R.B. to finance the purchase of an MP. Well last week was my 37th birthday and even though my wife has been telling me that a new bike was out of the question, she had a surprise up her sleeve.

We were out to dinner and she gave me a birthday card. Inside the card, as you may have guessed, was picture of a brand new 2012 Felt MP. She informed me that she had already paid for it, it was mine, and I could pick it up anytime I like. I belive my reaction was a bit like this --> :shock: And here it is:
IMG_0305.jpg

The irony is that in many ways the Electra is a superior ride for me because it is bigger, more stretched (I'm 6'4"), and I can now verify that it is MUCH lighter. But who cares, the MP has the style I want. And I am definitely in love with it. Last night I just sat and stared at it for probably 30 minutes straight. Well since I am a builder and basher, I can't leave anything stock so there are plans for the MP in the works. I need to resolve some of the comfort issues so a laid back seatpost is in order, as are higher bars but I will probably add a more sophisticated lighting system and possibly an electric horn. I have lots of plans for details and additions, all inspired from WWII era military motorcycles and vehicles.

For now, all three bikes are in my garage. The Electra R.B. and Schwinn will go up for sale eventually but last night I couldn't resist a little photo session:
IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

Regards,

Latest posts

Back