My Thanksgiving Story

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanksgiving... my family never had a tradition when I was growing up, mostly just like any other day off, like a Saturday when the family was home.

My wife always had a big deal family thing at her grandma's house, I went there, then grandma died about 9 years ago, so Aunt Nancy took the tradition to her house. Nancy isn't as fun as grandma was, but we went nonetheless.

Last year Nancy wouldn't let my kids color in coloring books with crayons on the floor, we vowed we'd never go back.

Fast forward to this year. A boy who went to our church was put in a group home early in Summer because his step mom couldn't deal with him, he had been living with an abusive/drunk uncle for a year, mostly on his own, but he loved church and we loved him. He called asking if he could stay with our family for the holiday and we took him in. His story would make you gasp, he needed some "normal" family time.

He arrived the day before Thanksgiving and we treated him like one of our own. Aunt Nancy decided to push Thanksgiving to Saturday and we still weren't going, but my wife's mother talked her into it, so my response, "OK, but I'm not going to like it."

Nancy's son and his wife take in foster kids and 6 weeks ago I learned about 2 girls (6 and 10) that they got one midnight, dad is out of the picture fighting for the country overseas, but didn't have anything to do with the girls anyway and mom locked them in the closet to go on a drug binge, nobody knows how long they were in the closet but they were both very underweight (the 10 year old under 50 pounds).

Well, I went to Nancy's, there were 34 family members there. I sat away from the crowd and a little girl came up to me and started talking to me about her imaginary dog, I am a kid person (youth guy) so I joined in her fantasy and soon we were best buds. Beautiful, sweet, loving, fun, just awesome all around, she was the 6 year old. The 10 year old and I hit it off too, but a bond was there with the younger one and me.

It was hard to leave, I had managed to just live in the moment while I was there, but when I got in the car and thought about those girls locked in a closet I lost it and cried my eyes out, and then again yesterday a couple times and I probably won't make it through today.

I was glad I went to Aunt Nancy's house.

This was a Thanksgiving that I actually felt more thanks than normal, I needed it, my sympathy has been expanded greatly.

A little more to this story.

My in-laws were still there helping clean up and chat after we left, they were there when they put the 2 little girls to bed, and my father-in-law told me that the girls would go absolutely nuts if the door to their bedroom was closed, it had to be opened enough that the girls could fit through it, and that they had to have food in the room, some crackers or cookies in a bag. All this made perfect sense based on their history.

Now, before I left the 6 year old grabbed my hand and led me down the hall to the bedroom, she showed me a fuzzy pillow on the bed and wanted me to feel how soft it was, when I did, she ran back to the door and closed and locked it trying to trap me in the room so that I couldn't leave... this is the stuff that tears me up.

Wow. Im sure it happens more than we can imagine. We didnt have much growing up, but mom and dad loved us. At times thats all that mattered. Mom and dad got a divorce and mom passed in '97 and dad is in a nursing home. I do much better than what my parents struggled to do luckily, and my kids have much more than I ever did, a home (always lived in apartments till my wife and I bought our first house), and way more toys than they would ever need. But we still make sure they know how much love them. I cant imagine ever doing anything of the sorts that those girls had to go through.

I am a sales rep for a mobility company, and see children of varying abilitys and disabilitys on a daily basis. Love doing my job, and take solice in the fact that I am helping people, even if its just a little bit more qaulity to their lives. I dont have a violent bone in my body, I'd get frustrated with my youngest as a baby when I worked nights, and at times had to walk out of the room and take a couple breaths to relax and go back in and deal with him when he wouldnt stop crying. But the one thing Ive found on the planet that infuriates me is seeing kids with shaken baby syndrome. Its so hard to do my job and not want to find the person who did it and do what I feel should be done to them. Im a grown man and it is one thing that I cant help but cry about at times. Its one of the times I wish I didnt know the patients diagnosis. Dont get it and never will.

That's awesome that the kids are now in a home where they are loved and cared for as they should be. I don't think I'll ever understand what possesses some people to be so mean. especially to a child. I'm sure there's a really hot place somewhere reserved for ones like that. :idea: maybe you should build a few bikes before Christmas... :wink:

yoothgeye said:
A little more to this story....

Now, before I left the 6 year old grabbed my hand and led me down the hall to the bedroom, she showed me a fuzzy pillow on the bed and wanted me to feel how soft it was, when I did, she ran back to the door and closed and locked it trying to trap me in the room so that I couldn't leave... this is the stuff that tears me up.

I often think about how pessimistic I am, when I read this part all I think of is how much I would like to knock some sense into the "real" parents if you can call them that. Just witnessing a learned behavior like that would be enough to tear me up too. Thankful they've got a family to be around this Holiday and hope for many more for them all.

My wife and I have 3 children, 9, 5, and 3. After the last child pregnancy had not been good for my wife's health and we decided we were done, so I had myself taken care of. :eek: We always said that if God really wanted us to have more kids that either things would "grow back together" :shock: (it happens) or we would feel nudged towards adoption.

I keep adoption and fostering on my mind a lot to make sure I am not closing it off, but I can't see that as the direction I am being called now, but I love kids and will give them as much attention as I can afford, no matter how much I have to heartache later.

Latest posts

Back