Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of fuel do you store in that carbon fiber tank, Chad? :bigsmile: Rocket fuel?

I could go for a nice long ride video to check out more of that bike in action. Have your son jump on his sweet muscle bike you guys built last fall and do a 'ride along' vid....

Thank you fellas. Hope this turns out ok. My main goal here is to get the Schwinn decals on there and level or slightly tilted forward to offset some of the front end rise from the fork.

What kind of fuel do you store in that carbon fiber tank, Chad? :bigsmile: Rocket fuel?

Lacquer...tank as you see it there is holding about a half a can of lacquer.:D Would probably hold a whole can if I keep spraying it.

I could go for a nice long ride video to check out more of that bike in action. Have your son jump on his sweet muscle bike you guys built last fall and do a 'ride along' vid....

I do want to get a decent ride vid. The wife got us a Gopro for xmas. Need to get that out and get a memory card for it.

Would like to capture this shifting mechanism in action. Last night I clicked the shifter 5 times then did about 1/4 turn of the cranks. It just made a nice sounding cachunk and went right into gear. Really nice transmission this XX1 deal is.

I somehow missed the progress on your build since page 4:(
idk why , i was subscribed , but stopped recieving alerts :39:

Your build is stunning Chad , such quality parts and beautiful finshes , looks like a heck of a great ride:43::41::rockout:

Cool!! 1x11, big disc brakes. Don't count yourself out on the voting.:thumbsup:

Thank you....I think it would do OK if you had to ride them all before you vote...It's a great rider...maybe if I found a silver crank bolt for it...:39:...:D

I somehow missed the progress on your build since page 4:(
idk why , i was subscribed , but stopped recieving alerts :39:

It's easy to miss something...+you've been busy.

Your build is stunning Chad , such quality parts and beautiful finshes , looks like a heck of a great ride:43::41::rockout:

Thank you so much. Was fun supe'ing-up this Panther. She's a fun little hot rod.

Here's the tank panel installed with the decal. Tank panel idea came about so the decal could go in this spot.

p7.jpg

p8.jpg

p9.jpg

Just put these decals on the forks. Saw them on ebay for cheap when I was searching for gold fork decals. Have no idea what Schwinn these would have been for.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

I'll spare you guys blurry garage pics this time but they look kind of neat on the black forks.

Punch list is getting short. Still need to brush some flat black on the cable guide/stop parts that are visible. Then try to get a decent pic.

Last edited:
Dude, that tank really topped it off! (pun intended)
And I'm sure those vintage decals will take that sus fork back a few years...nice touch.

And seriously, just turn your bike 90 degrees with the front end facing the fence corner, move it up to fill that nice red fence gap between the bushes, and fire away! That will be a great shot, prob even better without the sun glinting off that chrome frame. $$$$$$$$ !

Dude, that tank really topped it off! (pun intended)
And I'm sure those vintage decals will take that sus fork back a few years...nice touch.

And seriously, just turn your bike 90 degrees with the front end facing the fence corner, move it up to fill that nice red fence gap between the bushes, and fire away! That will be a great shot, prob even better without the sun glinting off that chrome frame. $$$$$$$$ !

You mean like this?

p10.jpg

Couple more blurry practice shots. Tough to get light back there. Might give it another go in the morning while light is reflecting off the back of the garage.

Fork decals.

p11.jpg

Kind of reminds me of this.

1077761d1407747742-alonzo-free-2015-ground_effect_johnny_dumfries_airton_sena_lotus_1986.jpg

or this..

151222143722-1977-transam-780x439.jpg

Yep! And, get nice and low with the camera. So when you shoot, you are looking pretty much at the top tube with your eye level. Then get about 4-5 ft closer, so we can see those details !

The red really does set off your colors well!

Thanks Carl.

Agree, I was thinking the same thing, seat tube decals...

Luke.

I was thinking they could be seat tube decals too. Was odd they came 2 on a card. Some decent fork schtick for 5 bucks..:p

Took a few more pics in front of the fence. Getting a bit better but the lighting looks a bit hazy maybe. Taking pics of a polished bike is really testing my non-existent photography skills. Might have to keep experimenting...:39:

p12.jpg

p13.jpg

p14.jpg

That top one and bottom one are it!! And, when we click on the photo and zoom in, there is no blurriness to the picture at all. Top one fills the frame nicely! Exactly what I imagined!

That top one and bottom one are it!! And, when we click on the photo and zoom in, there is no blurriness to the picture at all. Top one fills the frame nicely! Exactly what I imagined!

Great idea! I think this will work. Thank you for the suggestion!

Top pic is awesome!

Luke.

Thank you Luke.

Went out and took another shot because the light looked a little better. I think this one will be the one.

p15.jpg

Got a couple decent close ups I'll ad when I put up the finished thread later today. Thank you all for the suggestions, kind words and encouragement with this new Schwinn.:)

Last edited:
Nice work man. Love the details

The pics look great. The first one still looks best to me.:thumbsup:

Thank you TRM. I'll use that one then. The other one may just look better on my cheap laptop.

It usually tends to look better in indirect light. Cloudy days, mornings and evenings usually work well.

Something I'll have to work on. I did take a ride to the park at dusk to try for some "accidental greatness" but came up short. This shot turned out ok. Kind of ran out of light before I found a very good spot.

p18 (2).jpg

Nice work man. Love the details

Thank you kingfish! This was a fun one to play with.

Joined the fashionably early club in the finished bikes thread.

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/naked-panther-11-speed.99269/

Took the Panther over to show it to a friend. Turns out he was working on his bike.

pd.jpg

He played around with some different mockups while I sat in a lawn chair. (Being done has it's privileges..:p)

Then he got out this cool rollfast he picked up recently.

pd2.jpg

Some of you will see that rollfast again on the Macro Monday thread.

Latest posts

Back