Need help pricing an OT bike....Trek

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My boss at the hobby store gave me a TREK 600 to sell...and the modern road bike is not my thing.. I don't want to give it away nor do I want to put a stooopid price on it..It has a steel fork which is bent somewhat,I may be able to straighten it but don't want to. It has:
Modolo brakes
Concor Supercorsa seat
Campagnolo gearing and derailleurs
Aluminum seatpost with measurements on the side
Matrix Titan rims
Sakae Custom Road Champion bars
Headset has B -Hinault and Stronglight lettering
Cranks seem to be Campagnolo with Look pedals.
Bottom bracket unknown.
Tires are 700 x 25C Panaracer Tri Sports and cracking. Looks like presta valves.

Any thoughts as to value appreciated. I realize it is an Off Topic bike for RRB .

Good to see the forum is still going...Life took a different turn for me last April and I have not been
in Texas to work on my Roadmaster and Higgins and Swingbikes....Believe it or not, now I am in the fun fast paced world of model railroading.....I run the Ebay store for a friends hobby shop.
I miss my Bikes!! (With a foot of snow here...I don't think I'd be riding...LoL

Chack this: http://vintage-trek.com/
I had a 620 two years ago, excellent condition, Reynolds 531 frame, sold for 450$, but no Campanolo on it.
Yours has probably a Reynolds frame too, Campanolo is a big (+++)money, but the bent fork is a
(-) money.
You should restore it OR make it parts: the Campanolo set-up, the frame and the rest should bring nice money, check e-bay

I forgot to list the Reynolds 531 Frame...
What do you think it should sell for "restored" (Actually with a new fork and a new set of tires.the rest is pretty cherry except for a small scuff on teh white seat )

As is I take it it would be so cheap as to not be worth the trouble?

Would the fork have to be a Trek Fork ?

Thanks for the info, Marius

I think the fork should be a good one, not new (Reynolds or something), maybe a chrome one so you don't have problems with the color.
The price, in my opinion should be at least 400 $. The 600 series is harder to find then the 500 series.
Depends of the market and how fast you want to sell it.

Well, things slowed down enough at the store that I could finally put some time in on the Trek. After some gentle tweaking with a 2 x 3 and a piece of threaded rod in the dropouts, here she is:
IMG_0305_zpsptflezpo.jpg

IMG_0302_zpscin9twxf.jpg

IMG_0301_zpsqcjzegfw.jpg

Anyhow, I'm looking for suggestions on how to know when the fork is adequately straightened other than how it "looks". Judging by the distance between the frame and the front tire I think I have a bit more to go, and by the looks of each fork arm it still is slightly bent. There's gotta be a spec somewhere on how much rake it should have.. (Or how much space the tire needs?)

I've ridden it a few blocks and honestly can't feel anything wrong, although no hands is not easy peazy. However, no hands is not easy for me on any bike I have ridden lately.

On the good news front, I picked up a Schwinn Mesa Runner this weekend and I've already put 25 -30 miles on it with no hip problems, so I think I'm set to ride again!! By the way I think it is the world's heaviest old school mountain bike....but on moderately flat terrain it can really cruise!

There are pics of the components at the same album if anyone is interested...

Last edited:
You should be able to measure the frame to find out.
First find the size according to the seat tube- middle of crank to middle of top lug on the seat tube.
Then you should be able to measure from the middle of the rear and front dropout. These specs for the 600 should help. http://vintage-trek.com/images/trek/85TrekSport.pdf (scroll down to page 5)

Thanks, C Man....that's exactly what I needed.. Guess I need to push it a bit more forward, just by looking at the pics in the ads it looks like more space is needed. The spec will prove it as soon as I figure out how to measure the 4.5 cm fork offset. (I just realized there is a wheelbase spec too...that will be easier to measure!)

Yes the wheel base spec is the one you need to use. Drop out to drop out.

Make sure you are using the bottom set of the 3 sets of numbers. Model 600. That 4.5cm number came from the top set.

Got it...I'm going to give it another go this afternoon, looks like I have about 2-3 cm to go.

Edit: Here she is again, this time the fork actually looks right.
IMG_0317_zpsdbc8q4rj.jpg

According to my measurements it is still short by about 8mm. I'm not going to mess with a good thing, as it rides nicely now. I can even go no hands if I'm not too chicken. I have to ride it with the seat all the way down and the stem all the way up so I can be more upright but my knees are in my chest that way. I guess it isn't a bike I'd feel comfortable on. My new Schwinn Mesa Runner is more my style.

I was riding it around the neighborhood, thinking how cool is this, and a little kid on a bike says, HI, Old Man!! to me.....Instant downer.. Lol. :blush:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back