need help removing a skip tooth chain ASAP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got a chain that is on my womens hawthorne thats a skip tooth. ive never dealt with skip tooth chains before. i think it has a master link on it but it doesnt look like the normal master links ive seen. how do i get this chain off this bike without cutting it! oh an the asap part is cuz the rest of the bike has already been parted out and trash day is tomorrow but i wanna keep the chain!!! somebody freakin help me!

Easy E

The Master Link clip pops off with a small screwdriver inserted between the link.

thanks magic. after posting this thread this morning before work, the guy i sold the tank to is now wanting to possibly buy the frame off me too so i cant really cut the chain stays. but good idea randy!!!

Easy E

If it has a master-which most do, they are just held together with tension and a lock plate, no clip so firmly hold the chain in one had close to the master link. Keep the chain on the sprockets but put some slack in the chain. Put a little sideways bend in the chain and that should relieve some of the tension on the master link. You should be able to see the two pins move around in the lock plate. Then take a small screwdriver and pop the lock plate off the two pins. If it doesn't pop off, just keep moving-bending the chain and keep an eye on the two pins. Try to not put too much sideways bend in the chain or bend the master link plate.

Back