Need Help Removing Wheels from TRIKE AXLE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted another thread previous to this and Im not getting any replies so I decided to post another one with a different subject. Hopefully this will get more attention and a little more help. I need to remove the rear wheels from this project Trike that I just bought. It looks like there is an allen key that needed to be removed from inside the wheel on the hub. I removed the allen key from the hub and the wheel doesnt want to budge. It looks like there is possibly a cotter pin thats holding the wheel onto the axle but I cant tap it out. Am I going about this correctly? I need to get these wheels off and this is my first old school bike so I have absolutely no idea how to get these rear wheels off. Please help! Thanks

2011-04-07_14-05-28_891.jpg

2011-04-07_14-05-16_790.jpg

2011-04-07_14-05-00_118.jpg

how 'bout a photo of those cotter pins....?

There isnt anything on the outside of the hub. Its just capped, you cant remove it, its apart of the hub. Thats why I was asking, obviously Im not a complete idiot if there was something on the outside of the hub I would have mentioned that. I took the picture of the center of the hubs showing the "Pin" that I believe needs to be removed in order to remove the wheel from the axle. I find it hard to believe that nobody on this forum is familiar with removing old school trike wheels..... still looking for some help, please.

j4roe said:
......obviously Im not a complete idiot if there was something on the outside of the hub I would have mentioned that...... I find it hard to believe that nobody on this forum is familiar with removing old school trike wheels..... still looking for some help, please.

folks on this forum, myself included, are familiar with MANY adult trike wheels. yours apparently differ from the norm(s). rrb members are the most helpful lot on the 'net, but the strident tone of your posts will surely cause many to sit this one out.

:?

Bendix said:
j4roe said:
......obviously Im not a complete idiot if there was something on the outside of the hub I would have mentioned that...... I find it hard to believe that nobody on this forum is familiar with removing old school trike wheels..... still looking for some help, please.

folks on this forum, myself included, are familiar with MANY adult trike wheels. yours apparently differ from the norm(s). rrb members are the most helpful lot on the 'net, but the strident tone of your posts will surely cause many to sit this one out.

:?

I apologize and Im sorry that you feel that way. The reason why I joined the site is because it looked like it had credible, useful information that I could use while building my first bike. I posted the original thread almost a week ago. Ive asked politely, obliged requests for useful pics of my situation and still havent received anything really relevant to my problem. I'm appreciative of any help I can get and I was only expressing my disbelief that in almost a week I havent gotten any responses, one way or the other. I've gotten views however nothing really as of help. Once again, Im a n3wb looking for help and Im will be and am very appreciative of any help or advice that anyone can give me pertaining to my issue. I belong to other forums and usually within a week after posting a thread you can expect to have some probable feedback. It sounds like you obviously know a thing or two about trikes, do you have any input on what Im working with here? Once again, I apologize if I came off aggressive, only seeking help. Thanks

Sorry there bud, but maybe no one has ever worked on that axle before. I was not even offended at my own ignorance.

But let me run through a few possibilities:
1. Maybe this trike setup is not meant to be disassembled?
2. Maybe it is a high end industrial or low end commercial item designed for a single life span?
3. Question about the allen screw you removed, how long was it? Was it just a cap for the whole or was it long enough to engage the axle?
4. You said there maybe a cotter pin inside, is this a roll pin or a split pin with a loop on top? A roll pin sounds likely.
5. Is it possible that there is another allen screw inside?
6. If the original allen screw was engaging the axle then that is likely all that was holding the hubs on, you are now probably dealing with rust.
7. Is it possible to pull the axles out with the hubs still attached?

Good luck
Curtis

i think ur SOL ...i sold member rat cycle a rearend simmilar 2 that a year ago and he never could get the hubs off the axle ...he tried everything !!!! like cp said mayb it was never ment 2 come apart !!!! rat cycle ended up takin the spokes and rims off the hubs and laced another wheel set on there i belive !!!

The axle might be two pieces, maybe with a differential? So the whole thing might connect and separate from from the middle, where the gear is.

A few other things I should have mentioned:
I have seen hubs welded to the axle.
And what is the design of the hubs, do they have an inner sleeve?
Meaning is there an outer body and an inner sleeve with flanges?
It is possible that there is only and outer body with flanges attached, or there could be an inner sleeve as well.
From the threaded hole what can you see? Do you see the axle or the inner sleeve of the hub body?

Mikesbikes is right I did lace up some different size at one time but that was a pain to due and LBS would true them. So I now I am really screwed because I have to weld new flanges on to one and fill and re-drill the other. It's a pain. If they don't come off, leave them alone.

Wow, ok thanks for the replies guys. Now Im starting to worry that I screwed up and bought a trike that I can do anything with. In regards to this pin, I believe it is a roll pin and it runs through the hub and then through a hole in the axle and I believe this is how it is held in place. The allen screw then screws in perpendicular to the "PIN" and tightens down onto either the axle or the pin, holding everything in place. Im really banking on the fact that these hubs are rusted/weathered on. I really had hoped to put 144 spokes on there and now Im super bummed if I have to keep these regular wheels on there. One of you guys mentioned something about there being a diff in this axle and today I concluded there is. When the bike is pedaled only one wheel provides power. Only the left wheel engages when the cog is spun, and I believe like one of you mentioned, I can take apart the axle in the middle left right next to the 3 speed hub. My buddy says to dumb a bunch of liquid wrench on there to see if that loosens anything up. Does anyone have any other suggestions about tackling corrosion/rust, or weathered parts? I have noticed there are trike conversion axles out there, does anyone have any input on that? I dont know if at this point it would be worth it to spend a ton of money on this trike if I cant go any further. Thanks again for all the help.

I don't know a lot about building wheels. Are you planning to drill more holes in the hub and attempt to add more spokes or attempt to fit new non-trike wheels on the bike? Both sound difficult if not impossible with my limited knowledge. Unless there's a lot of space between the spoke holes on the hub.

I need to get these wheels off so I can see what Im working with as far as the axle is concerned. Ive seen hollow hub wheels and I believe that is what it is needed here. Honestly, at this point, everything has come to a screeching hault till I can figure out this wheel situation. So frustrating... I had grand vision for this trike and now its looking like I might just have to settle with these stock wheels....

Finally got them off. I needed a steel punch to punch out the roll pin in the middle of each hub. Broke three steel punches getting these off...

2011-04-21_15-35-45_624.jpg

2011-04-22_13-22-05_113.jpg

Lol, now thats the question! I have no idea. I now know the axle is 5/8 and they make hollow hub trike wheels that fit 5/8 axles, but the only thing is I dont want to use these roll pins again. Theres a fab shop close in the neighborhood that Im going to take the axle to tomorrow to see if we can brain storm some ideas. I was thinking that they could weld a threaded bolt onto the end of the axle and then I could use the regular nut setup thats found on most bikes... what do you think? I posted a more complete follow up on the build under First build, 26'' trike under builds...

I would think so, but heres the real problem... Ive already ordered them but Im putting 144 spoke wheels on here so theres no way to get access to the inside of the hub. Im going to have to figure out a way to do it but Ive already bought the front wheel and put it on and it looks extremely nice. Ill attach a pic and let you see what Im working with...

1303942418208.jpg

Latest posts

Back