Need Help To I.D.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I just did a trade on a frame for frame deal.. I picked up a Schwinn straight bar cruiser frame and I need to see what year and what model bike it is.. The #J255730 is what was stamped on the rear drop out and did not have anything else to help me I.D. other than the Numbers mentioned..
Thanks in advance..

Sounds like '62 but a picture would really help. The only straightbar in 1962 would have been a twin-tube middleweight.

Here are some pictures and I noticed that I added an aditional digit on the first post.. so this is the correct #..

The picture of the frame..

I figured the 5 may have been doubled accidentally. So, it was built in March of 53. Is there something welded on where the kickstand would go?

Panther and Hornet were the only 2 models that were straight bar in 53. It could be either one I believe.

Look inside the head tube, toward the bottom. If it's a Panther it should have a small tab welded to the tube. Tab is for locking spring fork. The tab keeps the lower cup from turning. I don't know for sure if all Panthers had the tab, but I had one that did. A Hornet would probably not have any tab as it was a cheaper model. Gary

Not all Panthers had locking forks, so I think this frame is whichever you want it to be.

I do think that tone of blue would more likely have made it a Hornet, but I have seen one or two examples of a Panther wearing that suit. Doesn't matter at all though!

It don't really matter cuz its not going to be restored.. Plans for it is going to be a Strandie Cruiser Ole Skool style..
Thanks everyone for all there valued time in helping me find out the info on my frame..

Latest posts

Back